O/T Welder choices - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 04:03 PM
Kingsmedic

O/T Welder choices

Weighing the cost between a commercialy available bumper/tire carrier/rack systems, I have decided to buy a welder and tools to do it myself. I have three welder choices and would like some input.I know some of you have the money and or access to the pro units, but recomending something more expensive than these is not helping.
1. Hobart Handler 175 mig(w/cart) found for $599
2. Lincoln SP 175T found for $650
3. Millermatic Challenger 175 found for $635
230v power is not a problem, I am a newbie at welding, but have a few friends who can help. What do you guys think of these? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: O/T Welder choices

I recently stepped up from a 110v mig to the 230v/175A Hobart Handler and like it a lot. I went back and forth between the Miller 175 and the Hobart, but for the $100 difference I can live with stepped heat range versus variable and a different drive wheel. The HH welds nice and can really cook metal, seems like I can weld longer than the duty cycle states also.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 06:49 PM

All are great machines. You will do well with any of them.
But, since they make the hobarts right here in my town.........wouldn't hurt to help my local economy. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I got the Lincoln and LOVE it! Great deal on them too. Any will do you though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have the Hobart Handler 175. It makes nice welds and has a reasonable duty cycle. I have had mine for close to 3 years. It has been in for warranty repairs once. Based on those repairs that would have cost me close to $400 I would recommend the Miller. Here is why. The failure in my Hobart was directly related to the wire-feed/drive motor. The Miller unit has a superior method of feeding the wire. In my case, the drive motor overheated and cooked the circuit board. I was using the correct tension and speed for the wire I was using. The warranty repairs were done at a Miller dealer and I was given a direct comparison of the two drive systems. If I was buying a welder today I would purchase the Miller unit. I thought when I purchased my Hobart that it would last a lifetime with limited use. If the drive system fails again, and I am faced with $400 worth of non-warrantied repairs I will be scrapping the Hobart and buying a Miller.

After saying all of that, I still have the Hobart, and it is working fine. I am hoping that the breakdown was a once in a lifetime issue and I will get many more years of service. I have welded with $1500 Miller units and the beads look the same as with my Hobart.

Later,
Tom
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:03 PM

not to talk you out of building your own bumpers but it will cost alot of money,

you will need a welder and a grinder and something to cut the steel with ie a bandsaw or a chop saw, don't try a torch the cut will terrible, also mounting the bumpers to your jeep is a huge challenge if you want it to look great.. and bender if you want a hoop on the front. The next thing is paint, you can spoof can it or get it powdercoated and that cost around 75-125 a bumper!! just think about it and you will save more money in the long run to just buy the bumpers unless you will use it often.

good luck just a thought
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
just think about it and you will save more money in the long run to just buy the bumpers unless you will use it often.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but buying the tools and doing it yourself gives you the satifaction on doing it, lets you build many, many more things than just bumpers, build more stuff and possibly make stuff to make some $$$$, and usually make stuff that looks better &amp; performs better than store bought and is what you want and need, not what someone else thinks you need.
Buying it allows you to buy stuff and pay for someone elses tools and effort.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:33 PM

true there is nothing better than doing something yourself, unless you don't have the money or the time, real jeep are built not bought, right but these days it cost less to buy something than it does to make it. especially nice looking bumpers,, the mounting on bumpers is the hardest thing.. you almost need a mill.. and true about quality, some company do a half [email protected]# job. it's mostly about the money though i do agree with you
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't be too quick to cut down on using a torch, Granted in the hands of those who are less experienced it can look like a chop job, but there are those of us out here who can make cuts using a torch that look just as good as a saw, and in half the time.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:39 PM

your saying that you can make a cut with a torch that looks as good as a bandsaw!! if you can then right on but i have been using a torch for a while now and i went out and bought a plasma cutter because the torch was not as good as a cut..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode