Front and rear bumpers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Front and rear bumpers

What is it that you like about front and rear bumpers.. I have found one that is 3/16 inch thick 2x4 rectanguler tubing and has a hitch plus is powdercoated. all for $225 is this a good deal? The quality is outstanding as far as I can tell. they also mak efornt bumpers and custom bumpers I am thinking of getting a front and rear and possibly a rear tire carrier. the fronts have 3/4 inch shackle mounts welded all the way through not just on the face and are made of either 2x4 or 2x5 tubing 3/16 with a hitch. and those go for around $200 dollars also.

they are almost identical to the bumpers that bulletproofmfg sell but are half the price.. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 01:34 PM

Re: Front and rear bumpers

or do it all for the same price, get welding experiance and a welder (for the same price)

I've got $25 CDN and $75 CDN in my front and rear respecively...

That rear includes a pair of bearings, and spindle..

and I got the welding experiance.. the bumper just how I wanted it too..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

the only problem with building them myself is the time it will take and the cost I would have to buy a welder and a few other things I called locoally and just the powdercoating is $100.. There is no way i could build the same quality and strength for that price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Mine cost a little more than the $200 but that was the winch.

It's been tested too, by an old man hitting it right on the end. I got out and his front wheels were still spinning. He got the accelerator confused with the brake.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 04:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

If your Jeep will ever be offroad(?), skip the powdercoating and go with plain old enamel. What are you gonna do everytime it gets a ding, take it back for re-coating? I prefer the $.98/can stuff from WallyWorld. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Know what I like best about bumpers, NO BUMPERS! I don't have a back bumper, and my front one is the stocker cut off even with the frame. Bumpers of any sort just reduce your departure and approach angles.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:57 PM

Dude taz is that a bumper or an anchor? If i was wheeling with that bumper i'd be stuck all the time or atleast have to take different lines to get places because i'd hit it when ever i tried to climb a hill. Don't you fil it with mud ever time out? My bumper is a piece of angle iron and my winch plate was inclueded with my harbor freight 8k winch that I "modified" to fit my tj. Nice and simple and no lost ground clearnace or approach/ deptarture angle and it only sticks out about 6" past the frame so i can still put my tires up on obsticles.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

my jeep will be offroad and the bumper these guys make will not reduce departure or aproach angles and spoof canning a bumper is fine if you have a jeep that supports that, My jeep is both on road and offroad, don't get me wrong it is certainly not a pavement pounder but i like the look and durability of powder coating.. and these bumpers are enclosed so they won't fill up with dirt and mud..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:25 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I think there's something wrong with your depth perception. As shown, that bumper only sticks out 3" past the frame. The roller fairlead adds another 3".

I don't intentionally go crawling around in the mud or rocks. Mine is for snowy roads and muddy construction sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode