Improve Turning Radius - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

Improve Turning Radius

I recently put a pair of Dana 44s in my 92 YJ. The front is out of a mid 80's Grand Wagoneer, and I would like know if there is any way to improve the turning radius so it is a little closer to what it was stock. TIA

MNT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 12:06 PM
BigMan

Re: Improve Turning Radius

well you could reset the bump stops. Thhey are a bolt on the knuckle that thread in and out. Theyare probably still set for the wagoneer but your yj frame is narrower so the tires can turn more. If the axle are not narrowed then you put them in wider that your oriinals so you will probably never get all the turning radius back.

Al
My web page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

If I reset the bump stops will I have to get it aligned again? Not a big deal, just curious. TIA

MNT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The problem you have is that the steering arms on the knuckle are longer than the stock YJ knuckles. The fix is not cheap. You can have PartsMike (partsmike.com) make you a set of high clearance steering arms, which require a modified knuckle. This will return your steering to nearly normal. Some folks have re-drilled a new tierod hole closer to the original length of the YJ knuckle. Takes a special tapered reamer and you get into the web of the knuckle fast reducing strength. You might measure a set of CJ knuckles to see if thier length is any better. They will swap to the 44.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-1999, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok first this to determine is why you have a wider turning radius, find the limiting bolts on the frontend, they should be threaded into the knuckles at the rear, turn the steering to full lock and check to see if the bolt is hitting the axle housing, if it is then just adjust them in, I like to actually remove mine when I am working on clearance problems to eliminate them from the equation. next is if they are not hitting disconnect the draglink and see if you can turn the tires furthur by hand, if so you have too short a throw off the steering box for your axles, you can either modify the knuckles (note if you hook the draglink to the crosslink you will get a little more movement out of the setup) I like to adjust my tires so they have around an inch of clearance at full lock. I know I give up some turning radius doing that but it prevents the tires from flexing in and grabbing the leaf springs. if that happens you can kiss the u-joint byby.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MNT- i was thinking of finding a wagoneer to get the dana44s for my YJ- can you help me with any advice you did for the swap? thanks- my email is [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode