Winter emergency road kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Winter emergency road kit

What do you carry in your Jeep "just in case" in the winter time. I've got a small 3/8" drive socket set, one of those multibit screw drivers, pliers, multitools, fuses, jumper wire, big leather gloves for winching, etc. that I carry all the time. In the winter I add a blanket, hand warmer packs and even a little food just in case. What else do you carry? I'm thinking about one of those Coleman propane heaters and has anybody used one of those "space age" blankets?

And no, I don't want to hear you live in Florida, California, Arizona, etc. and carry your swim trunks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Winter emergency road kit

Space blankets are good and take up very little space (until you take them out of the package). Also, don't forget the tire chains.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:04 AM

All the stuff you mentioned, plus antifreeze, water for drinking (it might freeze, but it's a good thing to have), a spare old winter jacket (check your local Goodwill), and either a cell phone (if you don't want to get a plan, go for the prepaid minutes) or a CB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

we always tossed a nice fleese blanket in the back with a good pair of winter boots (usually sorrels). a bag of kitty litter, a folding shovel, tire chains, cardboard for the radiator.....
it's been 11 years since i have seen a real winter, but thats what i remember..
last year it actually snowed 2 inches here and stayed 2 whole days. people emptied the store shelves, and everything shut down.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:18 AM

Explain the cardboard thing to me...I'm not getting it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:21 AM

I did the cardboard for a portion of last winter then switched to wood..

(I hope I have the same application here.)

Cut to size, then stick infront of the rad..
Jeep takes 1/2 as much time to warm to operating temp, and then stays there. Otherwise when the rad opens up, the temp sits down at about 60 deg. (around here)
and the engine never runs at optimum temperature.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Explain the cardboard thing to me...I'm not getting it.

[/ QUOTE ]DON'T DO IT!!! The idea is to put the cardboard in front of the radiator so the air can't go through to cool it. The problem is the air pushes on the cardboard and puts a lot of pressure on the radiator and breaks it away from the mount straps and pushes it into the engine fan.

Kayline used to sell a snap on vinyl cover that went in front of the grill. I've got two, if you find anything you like, buy a lifetime supply.

As to the jacket, I'm over 50, my jacket closet looks like the Goodwill store. I smoked Merit and they gave me three nice leather ones for saving the UPC labels too. In the winter time, I throw the Carhart coveralls in the Jeep. Got a nice Pierre Cardin bag they fit in free from staying at Holiday Inns on out of town jobs. If it's sub-zero, I'm already wearing a leather coat that comes several inches below my knees. Bought that for about half price in the spring a few years ago.

I carry water for the radiator year round. Thinking about carrying some beer for the drinking. Lower freeze temp and has food value.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:45 AM

Good point Taz..

but.. if your rad mounts are the same as mine (which they may not be, it seems my Previous Owner was a pseudo-mechanic) then there is a spot infront of the rad, about 3/4" away from the rad, where the mounts get wider..

alright, looking from above standing infront of the grill..

the brackets come from the grill, back about 3/4" and then then go in about 1/2" then back another 3/4"
slip the (I use wood now) cover infront of the dip in, and into a little slot at the bottom.. it works for me, I ran it for about 6 months before the weather heated up again..
when I pulled it out it was exaclty where I put it in, it;s supported on 4 sides by something other then the rad, and would have to shave about 1/2" of every side before it had any posibility of slipping bakc into the rad.
but yes, I wish I had one of those quilted ones [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

You can still put cardboard in front of your radiator without it actually touching your radiator. Use zip ties and put it on the outside of the grill. It may not look pretty but it'll do the job. I have never done the cardboard thing but if you like it then why not do it. As for what I keep in my Jeep, I've got a bag that I bring with me when I go for more than 5 minutes out of town. I've got an MRE (with the heater), water, E tool, flashlight, and I've got some tractor tire chains thrown in the back too in case I find a use for them (they were free).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 04:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

For wintertime, I'd add a disposible lighter, some plumbers candles, 1 or 2 end cuts from a "fire log". Not that it'll ever get *that* cold here, but you never know when a fire would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode