O/T GPS receivers for jeepers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T GPS receivers for jeepers

anyone have a suggestion??
I am looking for something under $500 with $300 as a target.
I have been looking seriously at the garmin etrex vista
comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Old Hand

Re: O/T GPS receivers for jeepers

I like my Garmin GPS 5. I used magellans at work before and they never lasted very long.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:11 AM

i got the gps map 76. It is very nice. costed about 310. It does all the mapping stuff, has decent amount of memory for loading maps if you want, i think 8 megs or so. Its water proof, you can hook up an antena to it. Has the spedometer to(had to get it for my speedin ticket). And pretty sure it has plenty of other nice features. I deffenatly think i did good when i go tmine. Good LUck.
Peace
ANdrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I'm not familiar with the names you're giving, but with a Jeep and the security problems, I'd go with one of the handheld units that you could hide or take with you. I've got a friend has one for his sailboat. You should be able to pick one up for just under $200.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:18 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My family has a Garmin GPS 3 which is handheld and cost around $300. It has just about every road on it you'll ever need and will follow your path when you are offroad. I love it and would buy another one just for me if I had the cash.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:19 AM
madmaxx

I have the vista I really haven't had a chance to use it a whole lot but when I have used it I really liked it. The only thing that I have found is that under thick tree coverage it has a hard time tracking satellites. I don't know if others do better. The only one other feature that I would like to have would be accommodation for an external antenna. I have done a little geocaching and have been able to find every cache that I've looked for. A couple of weeks ago me and some friends where going a little road trip to a state park over in GA. . before we left I went to a web-site and got the cords. for all the intersections we had to turn at on the trip and programmed them into the GPS. I came within 100 feet of every intersection even just pulling the cords. from an online map. I was pretty impresses. GPSnow.com has a good price on the vista and Amazon.com has good deals on GPS/software package deals. I plan on getting the mapsource topo software here in the next few weeks.

Oh yea, its pretty easy to use also.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Elusive I too am trying to wade through the mass of units availble out there and decide which is best.

What has held me up from purchasing one is that all of the ones my friends have loose signal under canopy. I do 90% of my wheeling under canopy and if I can only use it 10% of the time I am not sure I want to spend 300 bucks on one...

I have never used the external antenna type though are they better??
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:17 AM

Hi Elusive,
I've had a Garmin Etrex Summit for over a year, and I love it.

It does not have the map features as the Vista, however, from what I have seen, the map features are very sketchy. This is mostly due to the small screen size and relatively large pixel size and limited memory.

I do use the electronic compass and altimeter feature quite a bit when I'm hunting and scouting. I also didn't hesitiate to take it 40 miles out in the Pacific (in an open boat), since it is mostly water proof.

I've already destroyed it once (got smashed under my passenger seat bracket), and Garmin replaced it for a flat repair fee ($69).

-OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode