Join Date: Nov 2001
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Anybody wanna buy a PITA Jeep (rant)
No, I'm not selling it now, but if you'd have been here a couple hours ago …
I had a short list, replace right e-brake cable, replace rubber boot on steering shaft, replace tranny mount, reinstall front drive shaft, reinstall trailer hitch and put some graphite in the speedo cable.
I should have ordered the steering boot kit but I didn't know about it until I'd already ordered the boot and it was too late to change. For an extra $2, the kit comes with new square "nut" bearings, spring and retainer clip. Luckily, I took the steering shaft out yesterday and found the centers were broken out of the bearings. I gave JB Weld a shot as a temporary measure and have the kit coming.
First, I took a grinder and wire wheel to the trailer hitch so it would be ready to paint when it got warm enough in the afternoon. My spare tire carrier mounts in the receiver until I get a swing out built.
Next, I moved onto the e-brake cable, everything was going pretty good. I think my e-brake on those rear discs even works now. I removed the spring from the cable and am using just the arm return spring.
OK, on to the tranny mount. I didn't want to drop the crossmember so I tried changing it without. It's a little tight getting a ratchet on a couple of the bolts but I jacked the tranny up enough to where it was doable. Still I spent almost as much time as if I had dropped the crossmember. I thought that there was a bolt broken off in the old one but I found out it was just a piece of bolt left behind the threads. I still haven't figured out how that happened.
Stop to paint the trailer hitch and then onto the front driveshaft. I'd already replaced the u-joint and it was ready to go in. I can't seem to get it into position and notice that I'm hitting on the bellhousing. OK, I twist it around and get it in but it's way too close to the bellhousing so back to the tranny mount to shim it up some. Again, it's a PITA but I get it done. Go to shim the motor mounts but really don't have enough bolt left. OK, I'll get some longer ones tomorrow, need to make new mounts anyway, the AFW frame is a little narrow at the motor mounts. Driveshaft clearance problem is the AFW front spring perches are too far forward. The front shackle eyes are almost against the frame. This dropped the front a little.
On to the steering shaft, the paint's dry and I get the boot out. The shaft opening in the old boot is larger, I stick my finger through the opening to gauge how much I have to expand the new one and it splits down the seam. I put it back on without the boot since I should have another in a few days.
I still didn't get the trailer hitch on or the graphite in the speedo cable and I have to shim the motor up about 1/2', so there's still hope you could pick it up cheap tomorrow if I start having the trouble I did today. It's in real good shape, almost everything has now been rebuilt or replaced. Only thing is you'd have to paint over Taz or all my friends would be waving at you.