O/T Camper repair - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

O/T Camper repair

Since my dear Dad passed away a few years ago, my Mom has a cab over camper rotting away at her house. She wants to get rid of it but its not worth much since it has a leak and has ruined the roof. How hard would this be to fix? I'm sure the whole roof will have to be taken off and replaced. It would be a good time to put in AC too as the old camper does not have one. I can't afford a new camper but have the time to do a little work on this one if its worth the trouble. The inside is in good shape and would be nice to take on our jeepn trips. What do you guys think? Fix it or save up and buy a good used one? Some slide in campers are over $30K, WAY out of my price range! I have even thought of parting it out and building a little camper on a trailer to haul the jeep on. That would be nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: O/T Camper repair

I know a guy that has a 25-30' gooseneck trailer and a slide in camper on the gooseneck and then plenty of room for the jeep on the back of the gooseneck. I'm not sure how it effects toung weight though.

BarrelRoll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I'v often wondered the same thing. I'm not sure how you would even figure such a thing. I have never tore into a camper before but it can't be that hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave,

If you have the available time, tear into it! They are not really that hard to repair. You will find along the edge a channel with a rubber strip in the middle of it. This channel separates the sides from the roof. Pull up that rubber strip and you will have a row of screws. Remove the screws, pull off the channel (easy to say as usually there is gobs of caulking holding it on). From there you will be able to remove the aluminum skin on the roof. The aluminum panels will have channels that slide together to make a waterproof seam (I would just remove it as one piece if there is no damage). Under this skin you will find a wooden frame. Repair from there as needed and frame in your roof vent. The roof vent is where the air conditioning will go and also do not forget to run the wires for the AC at this time. Any RV shop will have everything from the caulking to aluminum replacement skins to purchase.

It is more time consuming than difficult to do.

In a storm, I had a nearby tree split in half and fall through the roof of mine. The insurance company wanted to scrap it. So, they paid me off, I bought it back, repaired it, and had money in my pocket to boot.

Hope this helps, good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, your post is a great help. Since I'll have nothing in this camper to start with I can afford to spend a little on it. I'll pick it up and get started on it next time I go up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode