Adapter free granny 4 speed swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Adapter free granny 4 speed swap?

Now i'm considering keeping the 258 or 232 in my postal for a while to keep costs down and get my postal build up on the road as soon as possible. I want a granny low 4 speed in it but don't want to spend major money to get a granny low tranny.

I might have found a jeep t18 for $250 needing work and i would still need a d20 t-case and maybe the adapter to bolt up the t18. I know that would be the easiest swap but i'm looking at atleast 400 to make that swap work if not more.

Another option i have is using a 465 and my buddy has a 465 to d300 adapter i could get from him for probably $100 and i'm pretty sure i could get a good 465 from a bone yard for $50 and a D300 for $100 and then i'd have a kickin low range but what would i do for a bell housing? I've heard you can get a t-4/t-5 bell housing machined to make it work, does anybody have any details about that? I think brad (cjjeepercreeper or someting like that) posted about it.

The last option i thought of was a ford 435, t150/176 bell housing and using a ford 208 t-case behind it but i think that would be really long and really bulky. Or if it will bolt up a bronco dana 20, i've found a couple for under 150 though they are all 5 hours + away, though if a bronco d20 will work i could probably make the set up work for under $300.

Does anybody know the lengths of these different set ups? I'm planning on a close to stock wheel base (stock is 80 i believe and about 88" at the longest for now), maybe adding 2-4" to the rear with offset waggy springs and more offset plates. My goal is cheep, short and the lowest low range possible. Any other options i'm leavnig out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Adapter free granny 4 speed swap?

Options, options, options. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just find a wrecked Jeep (hopefully a CJ) with the engine & drive train you want. No adapters needed. Jeep pieces and parts $$$ add up fast when you mix and match this that and the other thing. The $$$ cost of a powertrain will skyrocket when you add Ford, Dodge, Chevy, or even Toyota parts to the mix and match of pieces and parts. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Sometimes Jeep projects will be abandoned by the Jeep owner and a bin of Jeep parts could be found for a bargin. Time is $$$, wait it out, there will alway be a parts bargin in the near future.
Check out this Novak webpage http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ford_to_amc.htm for some information on adapting a Ford transmission to a Jeep bellhousing.

dave

If you looking for a good price on an Iron Duke bellhousing, so you can go with a GM engine, I have two Iron Duke bellhousings available. Then get a Jeep T-176 / Dana 300 and your set.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

i Think i'm going to keep the 232 or 258 (which ever engine is in that jeep) and just get a trans and t-case to bolt up to it. I was real tempted to put a '91 t-bird 5.0 that i can get for free in it but it would take a ton of work and a fair amount of money even though the engine is free vs. putting a mc2100 and tfi set up on the I6 which can probably be done for under $150 in parts including a carb re-build and new tune up parts and the engine will be ready to roll letting me focus my time and energy on other parts of the jeep.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just make sure if you find a Jeep T-18 its the granny low one, some came with a 4.03 first. Also, yes the T5 bellhousing can be easily machined to fit an SM465, the directions on how to do it are on Novak's site. And you also have to machine the input shaft bearing retainer on the trans.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

That's what i was looking for. Now it's how cheep can i get that adapter from my buddy. What t-cases came from the factory behind the sm465? What side drops? Did they come with 241's in later jeeps? Would that be a good t-case?

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode