CJ Heater Duct Knobs...how to remove???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

CJ Heater Duct Knobs...how to remove????

Ok, I'm in the middle of taking my dash of for my rewire project and I can't figure out how the heater control knobs come out. I have stared at them for at least 10 minutes and I just can't figure it out. So any one out there who knows how to take those out please let me know. I'm taking a lunch break right now and would like to get back at it ASAP. Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: CJ Heater Duct Knobs...how to remove????

The knobs don't come off, they are molded on. You remove the entire cable. There is a pair of prongs on the back, you squeeze them and the cable comes through the dash after you disconnect the other end from the heater control arms.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:26 AM

When I took my dash off it was easier just to take the cables off the heater box rather the pull the knobs and all that stuff.
Those tabs break easy.
Just my $.02 worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The knobs do come off no matter what you are told, you just need to persuade them. Problem is, then you can't reuse them. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], but you do get to buy a set of the cool aluminum ones then.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:54 PM

Sorry, those knobs only come off when its midnight during a snow storm and you really need to defrost the windshield. At least thats how it worked for me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 05:58 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The knobs are a loose fit, and I do not know of a good way to remove them, but if you know how they go on, you might be able to remove them easier.

The post coming out of the dash is a half moon, being rounded on one side and flat on the other. Now, the flat side also has a "C" taken out of it, so it's recessed in the middle. The knob has a tab on the inside, facing backwards, like a barb on a fishook. When you press it on the barb (or tab), sides on easily, but in coming off it likes to catch on one side of the "C" and stop. If you could make a small tool that would go inside from the back and move the tab up, the knobs would side right off.

Instead of the cool aluminum ones, go find an old Scout 800, theirs are steel and are held on with allen screws, so they're removeable, otherwise they're the same as the Jeep ones. I have a few on the Scrambler and they work great.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:25 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I answered the INTENT of the question, I know they come off, otherwise I wouldn't have cast little Taz heads for all of mine.

Besides the cool aluminum (which also come black) and the Scout knobs, you can have sculls, dice, soccer balls and others. I think most state laws state that if you have the dice, you must have the fuzzy dice that go with them hanging from the rear view mirror and soccer balls can only be used on particular larger SUVs.

[/ QUOTE ]
JEEPN,

I think you are talking about the knob on the fan switch not the cables. I usually can get a pocket knife or small screwdriver in there to push the release tab but if you don't have clearance, an allen wrench works. Just use the short end like a hook, grab the long end with a pair of vice grips if you need to.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:36 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Did you find the release button for the headlight switch shaft yet? It's on the side opposite the connector. Pull the knob to the headlight on position, then press in on the button and pull it the rest of the way out. The windshield wiper knob works the same way as the fan switch knob.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, I figured the headlight switch one out. I was so impressed with myself. I guess I needed to be more specific on my post too. When I said knobs I didn't actually mean the thing you hold on to. I got those off with an allen wrench. What I did mean was how do I get the cable out of the dash. That is my error, sorry guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode