Chevy D60 under a TJ question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Chevy D60 under a TJ question

I have a Dana 60 from a Chevy truck and an opportunity to get a TJ for a good price. How difficult is it to put this axle under a TJ? My concerns are with the linkage mounting points and the spring pads. I know that it's a passenger side drop axle and I don't mind keeping them full width. If this swap occurs, the whole drivetrain would be replaced and a Dana 300 would be used.

Thanks,

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Chevy D60 under a TJ question

I personally think it's going to be a lot more work than needed. You could just find a Ford D60 and not have to worry about swapping tcases. As for swapping the axle, not sure what you meant by spring pads. I thought those were usually on leaf sprung vehicles. Anyway, your biggest concern is getting brackets welded onto your axle. You could have the ones off the d30 cut off and reused(my buddy got this done for $175), but they're not incredibly strong, Another route is getting RE mounts, but that's $700!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 08:01 AM
Old Hand

Actually the front bracket kit is only $400, $300 for the rear.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...p?folderid=218
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. Yep, I meant spring cups.

The TJ I'm looking at is a four cylinder. My ultimate goal would be to turn it into a mud runner. With that in mind, I'd swap out the engine, tranny, and t-case along with the bigger axles. It be a big project but I have the time to wait and save up the dollars to do it nicely. My Dana 60, Dana 300, and Chevy 4X4 TH400 are waiting patiently.

Thanks again. The Rubicon Express link was really usefull.

Bryan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quick question... why waste the [bleep] money on a new TJ when your going to RIP it to shreds? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I\'m slow, not crazy!

It's a 97 and the guy selling it is over a barrel. I wish I was in the income bracket to take a new vehicle down and get ripped apart! The ripping would begin around three years from now when I'm back on the mainland. Until then, I'd happily drive it around in as close to stock form as I could stand. I'm also having to learn the required transformation skills as I go along. I have time. Meanwhile, I'm readying the axles and gathering parts for the transformation. That along with gathering as much info off these boards as I can digest. I'm also having to muster way more patience than I'm used to.....

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode