How do you fix stock white knuckle steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:59 PM
DirtyBoy

How do you fix stock white knuckle steering

My brothers CJ7, roomates and my CJ7 all have steering in which you can turn with your finger nail. All the Jeeps have 33's, V8's and lifts and it is annoying to white knuckle the steering all the time on the highway and some surface roads, it is exhausting. Ive messed around with mine and added 60 weight oil to the pump and it has help out a little. Does dual front steering stabilizers help?...Has anyone changed the pulley to a larger one to slow the pump down?...Just looking for some ideas. I almost flipped my Jeep yesterday hitting a puddle and almost over-corrected...to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:45 PM

Re: How do you fix stock white knuckle steering

That tire pressure are you running? Too high of a pressure will cause that to happen.

What is the caster angle? Is it a shackle lift? Too little caster will also cause the steering to react faster. The correct caster angle is between 6 and 8 degrees.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 11:15 PM

W.C. is dead on. when I did my lift, It included 1 inch longer shackles. it screwed up my caster and it made it very hard to straighten the jeep out at high higher speed. I had to shim my axle with 2.5 degree shims to get it to handle well. and I have manual steering.

it was real fun, if I let off the gas or hit a small bump on the freeway the jeep would change lanes on its own, then I would have to fight the steering wheel to get it straight again.

so I recommend looking at the steering geometry.

do you have a drop pitman arm?
do you have bump steer?
what kind of shape are your tie rods? ( have someone wiggle the steering wheel, while you watch the linkage)

Have you had the front end aligned at a shop after the lift?

do searches on caster.

Final note, I think most drop pitman arms are shorter and will slow the response of the steering.
[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 05:25 AM
Old Hand

I would do a shakle reversal first then set up the front alignment. I drive mine at 75 alot and no problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:12 PM
DirtyBoy

The front steering linkage is all new with a drop pitman arm. 4" Superlift suspension with 4WHardware stock height HD shackles. And I actually keep the pressure in the tire a little lower than supposed to. I have heard alot about the shackle reversal, especially now that it is a bolt on. I will try to look at the alignment aspect now though, thanks- its just tough trying to get an alignment here in Mass where I live, the dont really touch vehicles with lifts in them due to the responsibility aspect and everybody is "sue" happy around here but I will find a way.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:29 PM

You can do a "Home alignment" that can get you very close. Put the front on jackstands and remove the wheels, clamp a 4' long striaght edge to each brake rotor extending forward, measure at the rotor and the on the striaght edge where the tire tread would be(if tire is 33" actual height, then 16.5" from the center of the hub). The measurement at that point sould be 3/16 less then at the rotor (3/16 toe-in).

Also buy an angle finder and check the caster, lift spring can change it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:40 PM
DirtyBoy

Cool-Ill give that a try tommarow after I get the PITA running right again. Hey W.C. look at my IGNITION PROBLEM post and see if you have any ideas, thanks. I think all your rigs are awesome too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 97 Wrangler and we just installed 4" suspension lift and 33" tires. Now it seems to "wander" at higher speeds on pavement. The lift kit came with a different pitman arm, which was installed. What is the most common cause of the "wander"? It almost seems as if there is too much play in the steering wheel...it doesn't react right away.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

My problem was that the drag link (from pitman arm to tie rod) was at a steep angle. Idealy it should be parrallel to the tie rod. I added something that looks like the Off=road adapter for high stear. I had to make it myself because the drag link would hit the coil springs. Anyway, with the other end of the drag link much higher and the drag link much longer the bump stear is a thing of the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 964126-DSC00652.JPG (49.1 KB, 27 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 05:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

What is holding that steering arm to the knuckle besides that one bolt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode