New Jeep owner - a few questions.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Jeep owner - a few questions....

Hey,
I just recently picked up a '90 Wrangler as a daily driver for my '90 300zx Twin Turbo. It's a blue/tan hardtop 6cyl auto w/88k miles. Previous owner replaced air filter, PCV valve, wheels/tires. I just re-did the front brakes and changed the oil, spark plugs and wires. It's running pretty well now, and I love it! Very fun car, should get me through Michigan winters just fine. I also can't get enough of the fact that it's so cheap to mod/fix... I replaced the rotors/pads/calipers with rebuilt ones all for about $100! On my TTZ, this would easily have costed hundreds upon hundreds more. I frequent the 300zx board (TwinTurbo.net) and was pointed this way when I bought my Wranger by another 300zx owner.
Here's a picture:
Anyway, with the general info out of the way, I have a few questions which you Jeep guys may be able to answer.

Loud windnoise! Starting at about ~30mph, the cabin whistles, sounds like it's coming from where the windshield meets the (hard)top, possibly some noise around the top of the driver/passenger windows. Is there a fix for this? A seal that needs to be replaced, etc.?

How are the carbeurators on these cars? Mine is... iffy. It seems to work fine, for the most part, but doesn't like to stay adjusted (cold idle, mostly). Floods rather easily. Good idea to replace it? How can I tell if I need a new one?

SOUND SYSTEM! I have an aftermarket CD player, but the TWO speakers just aren't going to cut it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What's a good, cheap route to go for a new sound system with some more bass that sounds good? I was thinking of a sound bar and a sub... Any suggestions appreciated.

Time for mods! I was thinking about getting something this bumper thumper from Performance Products.com, only I'd like a chrome or polished one (may look cool with my polished wheels/door handles). Here's a link:

Bumper thumper

Anyone know where I could get something like this, except chrome or polished that I could mount foglights on?
How about some chrome taillight guards?

Any recommendations for a nice, cheaper center console? I need cup holders! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well that's pretty much all of my questions for now, but I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me... any good websites, links, distributors, etc. I can look at when buying stuff for my Jeep would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: New Jeep owner - a few questions....

Hey JackieChan. There's no real solution for the wind problem. A lot of folks use some sort of caulking solution or seal to make it a tad better, but in the end, you'll just have to deal :-(

As far as the carb goes, use the search feature to find info on the carter BBD. It is INFAMOUS for rough idle problems, stalling, etc, but I've found that with the right maintenance & tuning you can get a fairly decent idle out of it. There are also a couple of ignition mods/computer bypass mods that you can do that will vastly improve your performance (you've probably noticed that you can't zip past 3000rpms... that's a problem that's easily solved.) Just search for "tfi" or "hei" for the ignition mod info and "nutter bypass" for that computer bypass (although it may cause you to fail emissions.)

The search feature can come in quite handy! I find that most of my questions are answered instantly by finding old posts....

welcome to the family!
-pablo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 05:58 PM
RedSandDog

Welcome to Jeep-dom.

As an ex-Michigander (K'zoo) I thought I might sent you a few ways.

Try here for some of the parts you listed. You can also look here for some more info on the kinds of mods you are looking to do. As an ex-patriot Western Michigander, I should welcome you to the joys of Jeeping. Of course I live In Phoenix now, it is 75 degrees and I am working on my CJ in short sleaves, but hey, Jeeps is Jeeps, as long as they have round head lights.

Oh, opps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:39 PM

I'd hold off on that bumper. Hang out here for a while before you buy somthing you might regret later.

and for engine tuning:
alot of guys here run the howell TBI fuel injection upgrade.
or build your own "custom EFI".

also, search around for the team rush ignition upgrade.

and welcome to the board. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:06 PM

I'm sorry did you call your Jeep a CAR???????????????????? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Ok now that I got that out of my system.......welcome to the board, that looks like a killer Jeep........Good luck and above all have fun
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:47 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

First off welcome, you've come to the right place for answers. Second, as many on this board will say...IT IS NOT A CAR!! A Jeep is a Jeep and there is nothing else quite like it. Now for your questions.

1. Windnoise. Its a Jeep so it won't be as quiet as a Caddilac, but there is a seal that goes in between the windshield frame and the cowl that keeps water/wind/dirt out from between the two. Chances are your windshield has never been down so this seal should still be alright. But if you want to replace it you can buy it at places like 4 Wheel Drive Hardware .
2. As for the carb someone else has already answered that one right on.
3. Sound system...I know nothing about em so I'll leave that up to the guys on here who do. There are a few guys here who work professionally with car audio.
4. Modifications. I'm guessing this will be a street only type vehicle, but if I'm wrong don't be offended. If you are just trying to make your Jeep look pretty then there are lots of places out there that make stuff for that. Stay away from any Steel Horse products. They look nice and shiny when you put them on but they don't stay that way. The link I gave you earlier has a lot of stainless steel products for your Jeep and so does Quadratec . I hope this all helps and enjoy.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi there!
I see most of the Q's have been answered. so I'll just attach myself to the
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
SOUND SYSTEM!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those factory speakers are a pain in the you-know-where to get out &amp; replaced. As for the improovement, the sound bar is somewhat niceimproovement, but y'know that sub needs space &amp; ain't gonna work there. Maybe a custom-made box under the driver's seat? Or an small (read: active) sub? There's an interesting combo idea at 4WD: a center console with space provided for an amp (there's even an option with amp included!) and some sort of a sub-box capable of holding na 8" drive (I think), all-in-one. Looks nice. Maybe you'll like it.
And there's a solution in puting boxes (Custom) in the rear on the wheelwels. Works nice, there's plenty of room, and with a little bit of common sense it can be used as an arm-rest for rear passengers.
I myself prefer building my own boxes, fitting them to the max regarding the space available. That's important in a Jeep, since there ain't space to waste... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 07:41 AM

I've got a bass tube in the trunk, fits *perfectly* and takes up about half of the small amount of space back there. Of course, if you need your trunk, forget about it....

-pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode