better handling????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

better handling?????

We had some snow here in cleveland yesterday, nice bit on the side streets. Before I left for work I locked in my hubs just because. I threw my rig in 4 wheel drive and I noticed it handled better????? Better steering response and better on center feel. Anyone else ever had this happen?????? I hope this is common and not some demon in my vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: better handling?????

But of course, the front wheels have power to them and pull themselves the way you steer rather than having to try to make direction changes while overcoming being pushed in a straight line by the rear tires. FWD is more responsive than rear wheel drive that's why so many auto are going to it. The added traction of powering the wheels with the weight on them is another benefit. I expect 4WD to have lockouts on the rear wheel in the near future and use the front for the primary drive. Right now, there's too many of us purists out there who wouldn't accept it and you can put more torque through driveshaft u-joints before gearing down in the differential than you can in the CV joints on the axles ends.

BTW - it's hard on the t-case and the rest of the powertrain to drive on dry pavement in 4WD with Jeeps and some other vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode