Tire Size vs Rear-End - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tire Size vs Rear-End

I have a 2001 Wrangler with a 2.5L, 5-spd manual, and a Dana 35 rear-end with 4.10 gears. I'd like to run 35" tires but have been told the Dana 35 will not stand up to it. (Daily driver, recreational off-roader - nothing serious as I can't afford to sideline my only vehicle) I know I'll have to re-gear but my question is this - will the stock 35 hold up, will an upgrade to a Superior Axle Super 35 (or similar) kit be sufficient, or do I need to go to a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tire Size vs Rear-End

Wheel it until it breaks is my opinion. How much wheeling do you do a week? I normally hit the trails in my D35 equipted wrangler about two to three days a week... and I love the use of GAS. I'm running 33x14.50 tsl and have havent had a problem yet just a few Ujoints. How do you plan on wheeling? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't plan on doing anything one would consider "harsh" or "extreme". As I said, I need the Jeep for daily driving so I am reluctant to try too much... I'm new here to Texas and from what I've seen, there's probably a lot of mud, few hills, and probably no rocks... While I would normally agree with the "don't fix what ain't broke" theory, if it's something that I can EXPECT to break, I'd rather take the time to change things to try and prevent excessive downtime. Can I, as I've heard, expect the D35 to break with 35's (with driving conditions I've outline). If so, what is the better of the 2 fixes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Part of the problem with the D35 is the axle housing itself, so I would look into trussing it. Also, my D35 spit out the pinion at about 48K, with 31's, but it may have been a rare case. Gice it a whirl, I know a lady wheeling a D35 on her YJ with Q78 Swampers and she has never broken anything.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you plan on coming next door and wheeling in NM on some of the rock here your D35 will last several minutes. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:45 AM

If you plan on seriously wheeling don't trust your dana 35. I've seen 2 dana 35's blow one person running 31's the other running 33's both of which wern't doing anything extreme and they blew out either pinions or spider gears not shafts. Plan on upgrading soon. I have an 8.8 in my tj and havn't had any problems with it. It will soon be up for sale because i'm retiring my tj from trail duty if anybody is interested, located in IL w/ 3.55 gears, mini spool, rear discs, more axle brackets profesionally welded on, 1310 adapter yoke, needs e-brake pads and hardware and maybe an axle seal, i have 2 sets of spiders and a carrier i'll include.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any idea what you're going to ask for the 8.8 and when it may be available? What part of IL?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:43 PM

It will be avilable when i get back from florida (monday), i'm looking for $800 + a d35 in trade for it because my jeep is a daily driver and i still need to be able to drive it (but i could wait a couple days for one to get my way, i think i know of a spare). It's located in Vernon Hills IL (about 45 min north of chicago and about 9 miles west of Lake michigan). Let me know if you are interested.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Man, you weren't kidding when you said "soon", huh! Sorry, but that's too soon for me - I still gotta get thru Christmas - and I got 5 young-uns to buy for... You in a big hurry to get rid of the 8.8 or do you think you'll still have it in a couple of months?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:55 PM

I need money for my postal jeep project bad, my goal is to have my engine, trans and t-case in by winter break, and the suspension, "body work" and cage done by the end of winter break and even though the jeep and engine are free everything else isn't and i'm sure i'll have tons of little things pop up that need more $$.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode