Best Side Mirrors for Doorless setup? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best Side Mirrors for Doorless setup?

Hey I'm making an Xmas list and trying to decide between a few different replacement mirrors to use when
I take the full steel doors off. I'd like a set that will work both doorless and with half doors(though I don't
have those yet) Can anybody recommend which ones are good and which ones aren't?
Does the usual warning about Steel Horse stuff being crap count for mirrors too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Best Side Mirrors for Doorless setup?

yes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've been throwing this around in my head. Since I have a nice set of CJ mirrors and brackets holding my shelves down, how hard would it be to put them on the TJ? Is there any reason to not drill and tap holes on the window hinges of mt TJ for the original CJ mirrors?

Any input? I don't like the stockers and the relocation mirrors either cost too much (as in any) or they make opening the doors annoying.

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:26 PM

I have the Stainless Steel CJ and Wrangler Side Mirrors and they seem to work well.. But since I don't have the straps to keep my doors from swinging wide open, they always hit them and send them out of alignment...

If I had the straps, then I don't think there would be a problem... There is one annoyance with them though.. They tend to shake quite a bit.. To the point where you can't distinguish what model vehicle is behind you, but you still know it's there...

EDIT: Actually, if you go down a little further on the site, you will se the 'Warrior Mirror Relocation Brackets'.. This looks like it would work well, and allow you to use your stock mirror (which are much better than the cj ones).. I wonder if I could use thoes on my cj, with the yj mirrors from my half doors...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:35 AM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is there any reason to not drill and tap holes on the window hinges of m<font color="blue">y</font color> TJ for the original CJ mirrors?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a rack for my YJ to haul 2 17' Grumman canoes and I haven't had any problems with the drilled and tapped holes in my YJ hinges. I've put a couple thousand miles on her with the canoes on top. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sorry no pics. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color="white"> </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

If I had the straps, then I don't think there would be a problem... There is one annoyance with them though.. They tend to shake quite a bit.. To the point where you can't distinguish what model vehicle is behind you, but you still know it's there...

EDIT: Actually, if you go down a little further on the site, you will se the 'Warrior Mirror Relocation Brackets'.. This looks like it would work well, and allow you to use your stock mirror (which are much better than the cj ones).. I wonder if I could use thoes on my cj, with the yj mirrors from my half doors...

[/ QUOTE ] </font color>

Yeah see that's the problem I was wondering about--my motorcycle gets that vibration at about 50mph and up. It's really annoying to me. If that's common to replacement mirrors, then I'll have to look for a way to fix it.

When you say that the YJ mirrors are better than the CJ mirrors, is it because the CJ ones make you look thru the windshield on the passenger side? As for relocating the current mirrors, would that setup work when I put the full doors back on? I wouldn't want to do it if I had to move the mirrors back and forth every time I took the doors off and on.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:35 PM

Yes, you can use the relocation brackets to permanently move the mirrors from the doors, to the lower windshield frame bracket..

This allows you to use the mirrors with or without the doors, and aslo lower your windshield (some brackets move the mirrors to the upper windshield frame bracket making them usless with the windshield down)..

I have the YJ mirrors on my half doors, and they are great.. I have not been able to find a way to relocate the YJ mirrors, to a CJ windshield frame bracket.. I think the holes are a little different.. Can anyone verify this??

Hope this helps..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had a set of Billet Mirror Relo Brackets and a set of OEM Mirrors since I bought my 99 TJ. They look great, and are a snap for on and off. In fact, the second set of mirrors allows a quick on with little or no adjustment. You can find them at http://www.rocky-road.com/mirror.html.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:29 PM

I have the steel horse CJ style mirrors on my YJ, they are crap! at free way speed the mirrors get aerodynamtic and re adjust themselvs. I also got the relocation brakets and I stripped out my torq bolts , so they are still not on the jeep.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 08:21 AM

I have almost every mirror made in my garage and the one that works the best is the stock cj mirrors. i have the WAY over priced Lange quick release 2 mirrors which nver stayed in place and stripped out. I also have some that go in the door
hinge pin whole when going doorless, these are okay but a little to low. I dont think the re location brackets would work in illinois cause the stock mirrors oxidize so fast , i just know trying to move them would be a real pain. Hell I can hardley adjust the ones I just bought cause they are starting to seize. I say go for the CJ mirrors they seem to have worked for thirty years or so, why re invent the wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode