Anyone know about Superlift quality? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Anyone know about Superlift quality?

A friend of mine who has a '98 TJ with the 4cyl is looking for a lift. He wants to run at least 31 inch tires but doesn't want to run 33's since they don't come in 10.5 inch width. He thinks Jeeps look goofy with 12.5 inc tires. I guess he thinks my CJ looks goofy, but its his oppinions. Anyways, he's looking for a lift but doesn't have much to spend. He found this lift from quadratec Superlift . I'm wondering if tihs is a good lift for him? I know its a bit much for only 31 inch tires but its not my Jeep. He'll be using the stock tires he has right now until he can afford bigger. They aren't the teenie tiny tires some TJ's come with but they aren't the biggest. Any ideas guys? I know the lift question gets asked here more than any other but I have to do it for my buddy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:15 PM

Re: Anyone know about Superlift quality?

I have a Superlift lift on my 73 CJ5 and I am pretty happy with it. It seems to do just fine for me. You can find 33 tires on 10.5. Swamper TSL and Thornbirds are 2 tires I can think of that come in 33 x 10.5. He may want to consider getting new rims with the bigger tires as the stock off-set may put the inside of the tire too close to the frame and suspension. Is he going to be doing some heavy hard core wheeling? If so he might want to consider a Currie, Old Man Emu or Skyjacker lift. I have heard that these lifts are the best for TJs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

He won't be doing much hard wheeling. Its more for the looks I think, but who knows. He's owned his Jeep longer than I've had mine but the only modification he's done to it was to get rid of the front bumper caps (which I mostly did by jumping on them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:39 PM
Old Hand

i ran that same lift on my TJ it performed pretty well, the only complaint i had of it was that with the short control arms the ride was quite a bit rougher. It looks pretty funny with 31's though in my opinion, thats what size tire i had also.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 05:26 AM
HO92YJ

if he is looking for an AT, bfg has them in a 33x10.50. if you didn't live in IL(which is a bit of a hike from PA) i would offer to sell him mine
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would stay away from the superlift springs. I have a set for my 63 CJ and they are a very harsh ride. Better than the stock ones I had, but nonetheless it is a very rough ride on the trail. They hold up pretty well in the woods, but rough. I just cut off the front and rea clamps on the springs, and it is alot softer now. Doing that supposidly reduces the lift of the spring height, but i havnt noticed a difference yet and it has been 5 months. They may be softer for a wrangler since it is a wider and longer leaf, but it also may not. Price was right, but now I need new teeth fillings!!!! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:52 PM

BFG Makes a 9.5 wide or 10.5" wide at and i'm pretty sure they also make a mud in one of those widths. I rode in mav's jeep and it wasn't that bad, flexed pretty good too. It's not a bad lift for the $$. I'd say go for it if he's looking for more hight though if he just wants to go with 31's why not just get a 2" spacer lift or spring lift, i know they are out there. The best option would be to save up his $$ and get a 3.5" re lift with control arms and a front track bar.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 01:04 AM

I prefer rubicon express they offer a great ride on roadand a great flex off road,

www.mesa4x4.com has the best prices i have found..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

I like superlift springs. I ran a 2.5" lift on my '74 and I have the wrangler 3.5 kit on my CJ. The kits are very complete, and if you ever have a spring sag or show some sign of defects, superlift replaces them, free of charge. I had one spring on my CJ sag more than the others, and I had a new one there withing a week. Pretty good customer service and they back up what they sell.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 05:01 PM

Superlift kits for TJs are all that complete. I run the 4" superlift kit on my TJ, I've had it for three years now. Great kit for the price. The thing I'm most unhappy about with the kit is the shocks, they suck IMO. With the addition of Rusty's adj LCAs the kit flexes like crazy.

To your friend. I'd suggest just a budget boost kit to clear the 31s. 2" coil spring spacers and if he wants new shocks I'd suggest Doestch Tech DT3000s. Great shock and its cheap at about $30 a shock. Get a set of coil spring spacers and some new shocks and thats it. Do a search on JU for 2" budget boost and Doestch Tech shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode