??'s for those who have swapped thier axles - long - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

??\'s for those who have swapped thier axles - long

I'm planning my axle swap for this winter. I am going to use a Dana 44 front from a '76 waggie, and a ford 9" for the rear.

I don't want to cut the axles, because I want to replace any broken shafts with junkyard spares.

I have an 80 CJ-7, so my axles now measure wms to wms 53" front and 50.5" rear - 2.5" different track to help with turning a presume.

My front axle measures 60.5" and an EB axle measures 58" wms to wms. This is also 2.5" narrower track.

Is it a good idea to have the narrower inside track? When you swapped out your axles (or had custom axles built) did you stay the same width for both?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 03:19 PM
Old Hand

Re: ??\'s for those who have swapped thier axles - long

Tippy,

I should definitely post a reply since I did the same thing. I went with a '76 waggy converted to 5 on 5.5 ford hubs. My wheel mount to wheel mount ended up being exactly 61 1/4".

In the back I have a EB ford housing (actually a full size van HD ford 9" cut down and billet ends welded on) at 53 3/8" housing flange to flange. I went with something that you can buy off-the-shelf wheeling parts for. I went with the warn full floater for an early bronco and it made the wheel mount to wheel mount 59". I think it looks right. So many vehicles come this way stock. I can do U-turns almost anywhere.

I used the two axles for easy to buy spare parts. I converted the back to disc brakes using warn caliper brackets, caddilac calipers, and CJ front rotors. I am completely happy with the results.

I even bought a second waggy front end for spare parts (tie rod/drag link, ball joints, axles, cover, yoke. I have the spindles and flat tops if someone is interested.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ??\'s for those who have swapped thier axles -

When I did my axles I used a Waggy front 44 shortened to 59" hub to hub, the "Short side is stock length (not sure of length but I can use the inner axle from either a Scout2 or wagoneer) the driver side has been shortened but for me it's not a problem to get an axle cut to custom lengths since my buddy Tom can do it easily up to 37 splines for $50 each.
I have a 58" rear axle hub to hub using custom lenghtened 31 spline axles from a Ford van. Both of my rear axles are the same lenght so if I break either side I only have to carry one spare. Yes it's a drag having to get custom length axles cut/splined but how often are you breaking things?

One other option is to have your axle housings shortened to lengths that are available from some stock applications.
Like my friend and his Dana 44. He uses a stock widetrack inner for his "short side" axle, and a stock Chevy inner for his long side.
Sure it takes some researching but finding the lengths can be done allowing you more options off the shelf.

Good luck with your upgrade and take this advise, dump the rear drums now, you can fab up some disc brakes easily asnd for little $$s.

Lateer!

Big_MARK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 05:30 PM

Re: ??\'s for those who have swapped thier axles -

I shortened my Waggie front D44 to 54" and my rear D60 to 54". I have experienced no adverse affects from having both front and rear the same width. In your case I would leave the axles the width they are now if like the width for the reasons you stated, junkyard axles are cheap.
If I had it all to do over again, I would have left the front at 60" and cut the rear to 60". Front axle assemblies are 19.00 per side at our local U pull it yard.

I just donít think the front to rear stagger is necessary. It affected my jeep 0% compared to what it was before.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Ramyo,

Could you go into more detail about the rear axle? Did you just cut the old flanges off, shorten the tube, and then weld new ones on? Where did you get the new flanges? I like the full floater idea. Is that 31 splines and can I still use the ARB I picked up for the 9 inch? If it is that simple, boy I could do it in my own shop! Are both sides the same length? That setup actually makes the front/back ratio smaller than stock!

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 03:35 PM

Hey Raymo, What do you want for the flat tops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode