Electricity....Any idea??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:02 AM
FrenchJeeper

Electricity....Any idea???

Hello,

I am looking for the best an easiest way to get a +12V on start and run position...Any idea where i should get it??? Also, what 12GA wire mean, what is GA in metric or at least what does it mean...
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:13 AM

Re: Electricity....Any idea???

The GA on wire sizing means gauge, that tells you the size of the wire or the amount of amps it can carry not saying 12ga means 12 amps. wire size and insulation determine the heat rating and current rating that wire can hold I'm not sure about the metric equivalency for this. Probably didn't answer your question though, maybe LEVE can shed some light here.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Dear future French Foreign Legionaire [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Zee term "Ga" refers to thee superb American Wire Gauge, which is an index for wire diameters. For example, 10 Ga wire is about 2.5 MM while 12 Ga is about 2.0 MM the larger the Ga number, the SMALLER zee wire is. Battery cable wire is about 4 Ga while the underdash wiring is 14, 12, and 10 ga. 10 Ga is good for about 30-40 amps I would guess. You can see how carefully we have things worked out over here, all we have to do is remember about forty different methods of measurement to keep it all straight. By staying away from the metric system and having to do all that extra mental work, it keeps us from having too much free time and we therefore don't spend any time and money in zee sidewalk cafe', and get into zee trouble, [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] and get shipped out to Algeria to zee Foreign Legion [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]and have to shoot those awful 8 MM Lebel rifles, one of the worst military rifles ever made. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:15 PM
Way Outta Control

I believe the gauge (GA) stems from the old days -
from ammunition, shotguns.

It's how many balls, wires, or circles of the same diameter
you can stuff in side-by-side into a 1" tube or bore.

So if you can get 12 wires inside that 1" circle, then it's
called 12 gauge.

1 Ga is 1".

Seems odd now, but was a practicle way then.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually Shot gun gadges are based on the number of lead spheres to make a pound of weight. In other words 12 12Ga lead spheres weigh one pound.

On the wire gauges I have no clue what it is based on but is a list of sizes vs. gauge From My True value pocket ref:

Gauge (inches) (mm)
0 .325 8.255
1 .289 7.348
2 .258 6.544
4 .204 5.189
8 .128 3.264
10 .012 2.588
12 .081 2.053
14 .064 1.628
16 .051 1.291
18 .040 1.024
20 .032 .812
22 .0253 .644

bandhmo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 03:22 PM

Sounds like the GA question has been beat to death. I can offer some advice on the power source. It really depends on where you need power. In the cab is the easiest. Check your fuse panel for an ignition switched power source. There should be a terminal for accesories labeled that will be switched to run when your engine is running. If you can't find a labeled terminal, just get a cheap test light and test the open ones for power.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 12:09 AM
FrenchJeeper

Thanx for the answer... The fact is that i need it to be as close as possible to the battery and having at least a 12GA wire. I need to run a 12GA wire from it to the HEI dist...My Jeep have a 258 so i d rather not go to far from the dist since it is already loaded with hundreds of wires!!!
Thanx a lot...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:38 AM
Official Curmudgeon

As far as I know, there is only one wire that is hot in the START and RUN positions but not in the ACC position and that is the original ignition feed. Look at the schematics for your Jeep to find it. On my '80 it's a red w/tracer 10 ga. 10 ga is larger than 12 ga.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:29 AM

I'm with Taz on this one. Look at the wiring that ran to the original Motorcraft ignition module. You will find that power wire there. Mine was red/white, but your YJ may be different. It's a good thick wire, so it should be fine for the hei. That's what I run my HEI off. On my jeep it was on the firewall, drivers side and terminates in a plug that goes onto the Duraspark module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode