CJ - Is it the Jeep or teh battery - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

CJ - Is it the Jeep or teh battery

The battery will not hold enough juicy to turn the jeep over for more than a week at best. I have an optima red top thatís a year old. How can I find whatís causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJ - Is it the Jeep or teh battery

One fast and easy way to tell if you battery is crapped out is to take it to a place and get it tested. Almost any place that works on car, or trucks has these testers. If the battery is bad, then replace it and see what happens. But I would bet that more likely a cause is a slow drain somewhere. I am no electric expert but someone here will be able to help you trouble shoot it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:03 AM

You can pull the negative side battery cable loose from the battery and then take a volt ohm meter set to DC volts place one lead on the cable and one on the negative batt. post if you get a reading you have a power draw, this could be an electric clock or your radio if you have a power booster on the radio it could be that as well. If you have nothing that draws batt power when ignition is off its time to look for a short in your system this will have to be tracked down by isolating. This is time consuming! good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I had this problem with a used pickup we bought. It would not hold a charge for any length of time. I bought a negative-side battery disconnect which fit on the battery terminal and the cable hooked to it. You just twist it and it disconnects. I began disconnecting the negative and wadda you know......the battery stayed up. A search soon turned up a fuel changeover valve that was connected to "steady" power instead of through the ignition switch like it was supposed to be. The poster that told you to run an amp check was right on. That's your best bet. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] By the way......since I installed the battery disconnect, I am AMAZED at how much I use it, like when I work on the electrical system, it's kind of nice to disconnect first, and for theft resistance as well. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode