OBA Serpintine Pulley Alternative - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:38 AM
jumpinNrollin

OBA Serpintine Pulley Alternative

I had read in the last few days a comment from someone about grinding out the center groove of a York double groove pulley so it could be used for a serpintine belt setup. Any body done this? Any write up on it? Does it flatten the grooves on the serpintine belt. Any help would be appreciated [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OBA Serpintine Pulley Alternative

I would NOT DO THAT. You are just asking for trouble. Unless you were perfect your belts would never last more than a few weeks at best.
The best thing to do is to go to a junk yard and look around for a pully that is the correct size and type, and take it. probably won't cost more than $5, and you can bring it to a shop to have it redrilled for your use. That will be safe and reliable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:11 AM
jumpinNrollin

Thanks. I would love to know where to get a serpintine clutch pulley for a York for 5 bucks [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] (if you have one or can get one let me know, I will give you 4 times your money for it and we would both be extremly happy! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Thanks again for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

OH, I didn't realize that you were talking about a york.... hmmm that does make it a lot harder to find, but still not impossible. Maybe you could bring your clutch to a machine shop and have them turn it for you, they will be able to get it right, and keep it round. And they probably won't charge too much.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:42 PM

Check with an outfit called "Factory Air". They make all kinds of replacment parts for air conditioners. They can probably advise you which pulley to use.
Try this phone number: (972)316-8100 and ask for technical assistance.
As a belt application guy, I can tell you, the belt won't last long in the deal you were suggesting.
Hope this helps.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:49 PM

grinding it MIGHT work, actually, if there is enough meat once its removed, Ill guess its hollow once you grind the POint away though.

wouldnt it be easier to find a serp pulley and weld it onto the Yorks pulley?

take alot of time getting it centered, then tack 4 alternating corners, and keep tacking opposite sides until its strong, I dont think it would take more than about 8 strong tacks to hold it

I think they cost $60-$100 from the ONboard air sources

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:54 PM

Again, you DON'T WANT THE GROOVES of a serpentine belt riding against a flat pulley. Not only will it eventually destroy the belt, but will cause tracking problems. Do it right, and replace the pulley. You'll be better off in the long run.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:57 PM

Excuse me, I got carried away. I mean the RIBS of the serpentine belt, not the grooves. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:00 PM

you dont think the sides are enough to keep the belt in alighment?

Id probably have a buddy cut the original pulley down smaller than a serp pulley from a Junkyard, and then weld it on there, cost would be junkyard pulley ( $5 or less around here) and a case of beer for Lathe time at freinds house.

I dont care either way, but if its the pulley from onbboard air costs which $110 , or experiement with some $5 ideas, Id go thru some serp belts before I dropped the coin for a pulley!

but hey, if you've got more $$ than time, then quit asking questions and order the proper pulley! hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode