Lift/ tire opinions requestwd.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Lift/ tire opinions requestwd..

I have a 97 wrangler. In the end I want a 4" re lift, and run 33-12.50"s on wagon type wheels.

My plan is to get the 33's and a 2in spacer lift, and the rims with 3.75 backspacing. for now. I cannot afford the lift at this time, but will be able to before the tires wear out.

I have also thought of staying with 31-11.50 on the 10 inch rims, that would set me up for the 4" RE lift and would just have to wear out the tires before I got 33's.

This leads me to my questions first which of the above looks like the way to go, secondly what is the advantages between a 10.50 and 12.50 tire? It seems like the wider tire would put more stress on the axels??/ Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Lift/ tire opinions requestwd..

Ok... this is your second post about this subject what are you planning on doing... if you have a mild lift and arent planning on wheeling much... 10.50s [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Keep the tires you have on your jeep now on there.
Get the set of 33X12.5's and the rims, store them for a while
DO NOT get the spacers, that is just extra money that you could spend on the lift, save the money you would spend on the spacers. That way you will have the lift money sooner. When you have the lift money, lift away, and then throw thoes tires on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yea Muddy nut you are right I prolly should have just looked up the old post and added this to it.

We wheel as often as we can, which equates to half dozen times a summer. I am mainly concerned with not buying something now that will not work with my setup later.
As it is now I am running on slicks, If I get the 10.50"s I will end up putting the lift off for another 4 years while I wear this set of tires out. I do not really want to do that.

The main intended question of this particular post was ment to be what is the Good and bad between 32- 10.50 and 33-12.50'S
Sorry if the post inconvienced anyone..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

GO with the 33X12.5's you won't be sorry later on. I went through the very same kind of decision about a year and a half ago. I needed new tires on my YJ that at that point had a 1 1/2" lift. I was thinking 30X9.5 or 31X10.5 And becasue I had the 2.5L and I was driving a lot of longer tirps (to and from school) I decided to go with the 30X9.5s They were not on there for more than a month before I was kicking myself for not getting the bigger ones. I think it's a Jeep thing... Bigger is better. GO BIGER and I bet you won't be disapointed.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:55 PM

33x12.5 tires will fit on a stock tj, i've seen it done once, the guy did it for a week or 2 till he got his lift. I would get 15x8 wheels no matter if you are planning on running 10.5-12.5" wide tires. I would try to see if you can fit 33's on your jeep stock and if worse comes to worse add a 2" body lift and you can always cut it down later on if you don't want that much lift. Go with 33's amd a 2" body lift, then save you pennies for some 4.88 gears beacuse you will be wanting them bad with a 4 banger and 33's, and then get a basic 4" spring lift (4" lift springs, shocks, t-case drop, track bar brackets) and then add on to it as $$ allows. Also check local message boards and the ju for sale board for good used deals on tires, gears and lifts.

Andy
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey andy why would you go with 15-8 as opposed to 15-10 rims??
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
...why would you go with 15-8 as opposed to 15-10 rims??

[/ QUOTE ]

Bead retention when aired down. It's been discussed here a bunch of times.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I second the 15x8, that way you can choose between the 10.5 or 12.5 and not worry about your rim size. If I had a TJ I'd run 34x10.5 Tsl LTB's on 15x8's, I think the narrower "pizza cutter" tires have many advantages over wide tires. 1- less weight, 2- cost less, 3- perform better in every terrain except sand, 4- being the 15x8 rim (again less weight and cheaper). I would hold off on any mods. until you can afford the lift, buy the lift, get it installed, then get tires and rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode