If it weren't for bad luck, ... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

If it weren\'t for bad luck, ...

I just finished the frame change. I jacked up the Jeep and rolled the chassis out from under it, jacked up the frame and rolled the axles out. Reassemble, roll the axles back under the frame, roll the frame back under the body.

I made a few short trips and am hearing a noise when I braked. I check the rear pads (rear disc conversion) and they're close to the squealer so I replace both sides. The e-brake cable is frozen from rust on the right side so I order a new one. New brake pads and I've still got the noise, so I think maybe it's the fronts. I take a front wheel off and they look ok but they're gonna need replaced pretty soon, so I buy a set of pads. Today, on it's first highway trip, I go after the right e-brake cable and find out I've got the rear bearings (full floater conversion) gone bad on the LEFT side.

Wouldn't it seem like with all the rolling the axles around during the frame change it would have shown up? And couldn't it have been on the same side I have to remove the wheel from to install the new e-brake cable? Guess not, huh? Oh well, guess it could have been worse. So what is the life expectancy of the wheel studs in lug removal/reinstall cycles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:08 PM

When it rains it pours

Yeah, those things tend to snow ball like that.

I would say that the wheel studs should last a while -- they are not a normal maintenance item... but then again, on the road you are already on... they are real cheap and easy to replace while everything is already apart.

Where did all the grease go that usually keeps those bearings together for years and years at a time?

Best regards

John
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:41 PM

Re: If it weren\'t for bad luck, ...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So what is the life expectancy of the wheel studs in lug removal/reinstall cycles?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably pretty high. Mine are at about 98,564 right now. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: If it weren\'t for bad luck, ...

I'm a few digits behind you, but I'm getting up there. I took my tires on and off probably 10 times in one night. I bet others have done similar.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Re: When it rains it pours

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Where did all the grease go that usually keeps those bearings together for years and years at a time?

[/ QUOTE ]It was still in there, some was leaking out onto the wheel, that's how I noticed the bad bearing. When I took it apart there was plenty of grease inside too, I've got it all over my hands. The bearing retainer that holds the needles in place came apart on the inner bearing. I've got one little mark on my spindle and the outer race was cracked but it didn't seem to damage anything other than the through bolts for the brake calipers. It let the rotor move enough to cut half way through them. The outer bearing looks good, I could reuse it but I won't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode