Front Axel change - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Front Axel change

My simple plan of swapping out my 2.5L for a larger engine has turned to an entire drivetrain swap. This is what I have decided on so far.
350/SM465/ ?Xcase? Front D44 Rear D44 (or larger)
My delema is with the Trans case and front axel. My first thought was to keep the NP231 and get the adaptor. Then run a drivers side drop front (was probably going to keep the D30 for a while to save a bit of money) Then I figure I will have two weak links. My Tcase, and my front axel.
If I go with a Chevy Xcase then I don't need to get an expencive adaptor (the one I need will be $600) But if I use a chevy case NP205 or 208. Then I will need to get a pasangers side drop front. I will save on the adaptor, but have to deal with getting a new front axel. The new axel will probably cost a little more, but if I go that way I won't have a weak link in my drivetrain.
I am looking for opnions on the matter.
Option 1) Spend the $600 on adapting the case I have now and keep the D 30 front (for a while)
Option 2) save the adaptor money and get a NP205 or 208, But have to get an axel with the diff on the other side?

I am hoping to get some pros and cons.... Can a 205 or 208 be twin sticked... That could be a factor?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Journeyman

Re: Front Axel change

I'm in the same situation right now. I'm just going to go with a 205. I have found a couple of trucks that I can get the whole drivetrain for under $1000 and that will give me everything I need (engine, tranny, tcase, front and rear end).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

If you need a pasanger side drop, why not get a D-44 from a 70's waggoneer? That would set you up just like a CJ w/ a Dana 300. A narrow trac waggie is 61" wms to wms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

heres a couple random thoughts..
1. the reverse cut ford d-44's are stronger in front applications and on the correct side for you.
2. I have bolted chevy axles straight into yj frames by useing cj front springs and cheating the spring hangers over 1/4 on each side with just spacers(washers)
3. the np 205 can be twin sticked. it also weighs a ton, and the low range is a crappy 2.05/1 with no 4/1 kit available.. though i hear one is in the works.
you should be able to score an entire chevy half ton 4x4 and use the entire drivetrain.. this would be pretty cheap. if you were to use a 3/4 ton you'd get a 14 bolt in the rear. most 3/4 tons had 4.10 gears too, though the 4.10 gearing is still too high with a 14 bolt because you have to run at least 38's off road for clearance.
just random thoughts/..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would consider using full width axles from a newer ( after 1980 ) Full size Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer (drivers side drops). I'd keed the Wagoneer wheel bolt pattern (6 on 5 1/2) GM uses TBI 350's with a NP241HD/NV4500 transfer case / transmissions combinations (drivers side drops) in full size pickups after 1987. It's going to cost a fortune, but this combination of powertrain should hold up well.
dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Why not use the GM to Ford bellhousing and use the NP435 (6.69:1 first), and D20 and just stick with the TJ axle. I have heard you will have to run the 10.4" Camaro clutch using the Iron Duke bellhousing, but the front axle would probably let go before it does. It'd be cheap and get you to where you want to be. I have 3 of those bellhousings kicking around here somewhere.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wow, thanks for all the great Information. It sounds like putting a passangers side diff axel is the way to go for me. Although the NV241 and NV4500 Would be a killer set up, I don't have the money for that. And I don't think that "Need" that much drive train. My jeep is just a toy to get out in the woods and play. I am not into real real hardcore stuff. There are a limited number of 4500's out there, I will leave them for the big dogs. (I also don't really want to go with a body lift, and with a 4500 in a YJ with no body lift they hang pretty low. So I guess the search is on for a passangers side front axel with 4.10's that is in the 60-65" range. A 70's Wagg would be great, but they are few and far between up here in the north. Rust eats them up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:04 AM
Can't Get Enough

That's why Nebraska is great! Old FSJ's grow on trees out here. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Even old Willy's waggons are everywhere in tree rows. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Can't Get Enough

Although here is a cheep way to get the remaining chevy parts
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Boy, I'm glad you're going through this!!! I've been thinking on the same solution. My 258 is VERY tired, and the BA/10 is costing me a fortune to keep going.
I've collected most of the parts already. Being that I've been into Chevy trucks for quite some time, I have a 350/465/205 kicking around that I can use. Also have a '70's Wagoneer that I can take the front 44 from. All I have to find now is a rear to go with it all.
Like you, I'm not into hardcore wheeling. Just need to get through the woods/mud/snow. My remaining questions are about mounting engine/trans/xfer, and finding the rear axle.
Please keep me/us posted on your findings and progress. I'm hoping that what I have will hold up through the winter and start the change-over in the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode