HEI dist...UPDATED - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 11:51 AM
FrenchJeeper

HEI dist...UPDATED

Hello,

I am working on my TBI kit and i have to install a HEI dist that will be manage by the ECM for timing advance. I have it about 0.2 inches longer than the one i had and so, when i place it it doesn't go all the way in but get stopped while reaching the oil pump notch...What can i do about it?
Is it a problem if it press on the oil pump gear???
Is there a way to shorten it???
Thanx a lot...

Here is a pic of the dist i am trying to put in...

I put another pic in attachment....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 955369-tbi.jpg (35.1 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Stranger

Re: HEI dist...

BTT

Anyone else have any thoughts on this ??
When I purchased my HEI the guy at the parts yard said that if the distributor didn't sit down all the way to just lightly file the bottom of the distributor shaft - where it connects to the oil pump. Luckly mine fit OK but I could see where filing .2 off the bottom would be possible since it looked like plenty of the fitting on the bottom of the shaft went into the oil pump. I don't think putting pressure on the oil pump drive would be good idea, it seems that would only speed up wear. Have a look at the bottom of your shaft and see if removing the .2 you talked about could be done and still leave plenty of material to interface with the oil pump drive.

Jerry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 08:52 PM

Take carefull measurements to compare the old distributor with the new one and adjust accordingly. Measure from the base of the distributor to the gear, and to the tip of hte shaft that engages in the oil pump slot.

You certain it's dropping into the oil pump slot?

Feel for the play in the shaft sliding up and down in the distributor housing. That play should not be consumed when you tighten down the distributor hold down clamp. If you load down the pump it will cause accellerated wear somewhere.

Compare all dimensions of that distributor shaft. Watch for either too long or is it possible the slot width is incorrect on the end of the distributor?

Yes, you can file or grind the end. Better to take 0.010 " more off than needed and have some end play, than to risk loading downward with that hold down clamp.

Run it for a short while and remove. Inspect the gear to make sure it's doing ok. Have heard horror stories about chewed up camshaft gears.

I am running a homebrew hei and it works great. Needed no adjustment, just installed the gear and ran it. Seemed to work best with the stock hei springs and vacuum pot.

Best of luck with the tbi install. Sounds cool. You've done a lot of mod's to that jeep of yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 09:49 PM
tkcomer

Did you change the distributor gear on the HEI to an AMC gear? This could be your problem. Go to this web site for more info.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/hei02/

Hope this helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:00 AM
FrenchJeeper

Well, i am doing my best to make it a real "made" Jeep!!! So, if someone has too much money...... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1989 YJ, AMC 258, Clifford intake, Borla header and exhaust, Rochester TBI, GM HEI dist, Rancho lift, RS9000, 31/10.5/15, 4.10 R/P...could be my new signature!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:55 AM

are you POSITIVE it is dropping into the oil pump drive slot? i would double check that before doing any filing...

matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:16 PM
Journeyman

Would you consider a washer the same size round
as the gasket only .2 thick and another gasket to
seal it?Sounds cheap and goofy,but simple,Also
when I installed mine,it took a few times of tweeking
the oil pump position to get the dist to drop down
right.Got mine from a '70s chev P/U w/250.Works
fine stock,never had a problem.Better than the '72
point ignition.

Bergy.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 12:03 AM
FrenchJeeper

Hehe, we are on the same state of mind...that s what i did when fixing it yesterday...I didn't feel much like working on a dist shaft!!!
Thanx a lot [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 02:27 PM
FrenchJeeper

Re: HEI dist...UPDATED

Hello, on the dist cap i have a connector labeled BAT where i will plug a +12V on start and run. I also have a connector named TACH and don t know how to plug it... I have found article saying the tach will work witgout any wire connected!!!
like here...
If not, how can i locate my tack wire from my old setup which was like that...

Thanx a lot for your help...
PS, i still don't know why i have 4 stars!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: HEI dist...UPDATED

My tach works despite not being connected to the tach terminal on the hei. How???? Its gettimg power from the wire that used to go to the duraspark module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode