Opinions using gear drive vs. timing chain ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Stranger

Opinions using gear drive vs. timing chain ?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 258 and wanted to know if any of you have had experience using the Mopar gear drive timing set instead of the stock timing chain.
Here's the info on the gear set :
http://store5.yimg.com/I/wyckoff-chr...s_1700_9636290
I know it's a little pricey (I found it for 425.00 at my local dealer) but I was thinking this might be a good way to avoid the valve timing problem that lead to my rebuild in the first place. All of my intake pushrods have bent as a result of my timing chain failing. One day the engine was running fine, next day when starting it I just got a backfire and then it wouldn't start at all. I had little compression in all cylinders and when I took the valve cover off I noticed all the intake pushrods had been bent. Since I'm doing the rebuild anyway would this be a permanent solution to timing chain problems??
Thanks for any opinions anyone has to offer !!

Jerry
'81 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:39 AM

Re: Opinions using gear drive vs. timing chain ?

Well if you want my opinion [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. I would save the money and go with a chain. You should not experiance any issues with a chain and sprocket assembly until you have enough miles on it to replace and or rebuild the motor [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] 65 to 100k or better. The gear set aside from being pricey is very noisy to. Not so much at low rpm's but at cruising speed it can get annoying. But this is just my opinion
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nothing like that gear drive whine! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] IMO a waste of money in a lower revving 4 by, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:11 PM

Go get a good roller timing set for less a hundred bucks and forget about the over priced mopar stuff. The roller timing sets dont stretch like the silent drive chains.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:55 PM

What exactly happened to your chain? Plastic teeth come off the cam sprocket? Chain get worn and jump a tooth, or did it just break?

Losing plastic teeth is the most common failure. An all-steel aftermarket sprocket will take care of that for a long time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

When I rebuilt my 258 I used a COMP cam kit that came with the cam, lifters and timing chain. I think that if you use a good company, you would be alright with the chain. HESCO sells a double chain set up that you can degree the cam. The single chain that came with my kit couldn't be degreed. Thier tech service told me that you need a double chain if you rev your 258 above 4k!. Mine doesn't get to 3k so I stayed with the single.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode