So, why is a big NO here? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, why is a big NO here?

Why is it wrong to clear bigger tires by inserting a, let's say, 1" spacers between the axle & leaf-spring? It is NOT my intention to do it, just to point that out. I was just wondering why is that so bad? Of course, if you put 10" of spacers, that is serious... But an inch? Pls, don't send me to he11, I just wanna know why. Pure and simple curiosity... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: So, why is a big NO here?

Ok... well the problem is putting a one inch spacer between the axle and spring is going to lower your Jeep... think about it. Springs are Under the Axle... unless you have a SOA [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Yep, unless you're SOA, putting a 1" spacer between your axle and leaf springs will lower your Jeep. While this may or may not be what you want to do, you surely will go to he11 if u do this. The Jeep Gods(or jeepgod himself) will rain down on you will relentless fury!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My most deepest appologies to the honorable Forum members! In my ignorance, I asked this stupid question without stoping to thinking about it for a minute more.
I hope this little accident won't be called upon & against me when the final judgement day comes.
SORRY!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You shall be pardoned! Dont worry every single one of us asks a "stupid" question... [bleep] I had to ask jammy how to fix my damn U-Joints last week! If you want alittle lift add some mild shackles? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am sure that an automatic "sin redemption" is granted for minor geometrical inaccuracies [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you are running a vehicle that is SOA, spacers in the rear are OK (marginally), but lateral forces on the frontend during steering will try and kick the spacer out from it's "nest" between the spring and axle. This could lead to loss of control/steering, broken frontend componentry, and just a general unsafe condition. This is why lift blocks up front are strictly verboten.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
This is why lift blocks up front are strictly verboten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, try telling this to a guy in our club. He's got TINY blocks up front that are welded in, and we give him sh!t ALL THE TIME about it! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hehe... well atleast they dont move... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:18 PM

Actually, there was a rig that came stock with "lift blocks" under the front end--mid '70's Ford High-Boys. My '76 was stone stock (well, the engine had been changed but that was it) and had about 3" blocks under the front springs. I've seen some other High-Boys that were just like it. Kinda funky looking really. I never noticed any problems with the steering, but hey, it was a 3/4 ton with semi-manual/semi-power steering that semi worked [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]! Also, I never drove it very fast--it was a clunker and only used for hunting, clam-digging, etc. However, I would NEVER put blocks under something myself. On my 78 F-150 we ended up using a couple of helper springs and re-arching the spring pack for approx 3" of lift....for the front coils, we actually moved the spring/shock hanger (it was one piece on that truck) down to make the front and rear match in height. It didn't change the amount of articulation, but I was able to clear larger tires. Of course I was 16 when I did this, and now being nearly twice that age and of a LOT more experience on what NOT to do, I wouldn't do it that way again. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

cj5pilot.. you are absolutely correct. I have a 77 f-250 hi-boy and it has 3/4" or 1" blocks in the front. no one believes its stock, but I know it is.. I bought the truck from the original owner and I have the window sticker... i talked for a long time with the gentleman and he assured me he never altered the height on the truck. I bought it with 36's that were a little tight under it, but the 35's fit great. it also has 4.10 gears and a 3 speed auto.. this thing needs at least 35's to go 60 mph.
but back on topic.. front lift blocks are bad.
dont ever do it or I'll riducule you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode