HEI distributor swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEI distributor swap

I just finished putting a Weber carb in my 6-cyl. '89 YJ and I've read, at several Web sites, that replacing the stock distributor with a Chevy HEI-type distributor will improve performance even more. Have any of made this swap? Is it all it's built up to be?

Thanks,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:20 AM

Re: HEI distributor swap

Yeah, throw the new distributor, cap, wires, igniton coil, etc etc on there. All of the parts can be drawn from an early 80's (82?) Ford F150. You'll marvel at how it changes your idle, in particular, and the fact that you can accelerate smoothly through 4000-4500 rpm....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 05:31 AM

You've got the Chevy HEI swap confused with the Ford TFI swap. Do a search for TFI or TeamRush upgrade, the Ford parts are the ones you want. It'll blow the HEI out of the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:02 AM

I just did the TFI "TEAM RUSH" ignition upgrade it was definitely the thing to do! If you use the "SEARCH" you will find out the GM HEI ignition is MUCH HARDER and MORE EXPENSIVE to do PROPERLY (You don't just drop a HEI distributor off the shelf in there it must be altered different pieces from different distributors, sounds like a real headache, plus the TFI is supposed have better performance anyway [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) . Click on this for my experiance http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...o=&fpart=1
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:35 PM
MaineJeep

I've done the TR upgrade to my 87, the difference wasn't that great until I also did the Nutter Bypass. I'm now planning to go to the HEI for hopefully better reliability.

The HEI swap is pretty easy, you just change the drive gear off the distributor for one from 4wd Hardware, $25 bucks, takes 5 minutes. Then just take out the old Duraspark Distributor, coil and the POS Duraspark module out and drop in the HEI distributor in. Then run switched power to it and you're done. If you can get an HEI distributor cheap it won't cost much more than the TR. I've been told that the HEI is very reliable, I know from experience that the Duraspark is somewhat unreliable. I'm guessing that performance is probably the same.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]I've driven Chevy pickups for years.....NINE of them at last count [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].....and the GM HEI does have it's failings. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I never leave the yard without a spare rotor since they can blow through quite easily. We did the TR upgrade on our 304 and TR himself built us a superb ultra-ultra-ultra dual-pickup, dual coil, super-redundant emergency-vehicle-grade, NASCAR type, distributor. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] With the TR system you can step up to the MSD module and THAT is the thing that really sweeps out the corners on both economy and performance. Our system uses an MSD with a Motorcraft module as the backup. We didn't want our Jeep to quit on us when the UN troops are chasing us to get the last gun in America still in private ownership [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Seriously, your best choice would be the TR upgrade, and then as time and finances permit add the MSD6 module for that sustained spark that really gets that 2-2-4 Trimethylpentane to burnin'. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode