Body Side Panels Replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body Side Panels Replacement

Can someone tell me if it is possible to replace CJ5 body side panels with CJ7 panels to gain a wider bodyside door opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:21 PM

Re: Body Side Panels Replacement

Anything is possible.

the CJ-7 tub is about 10" longer than CJ-5
this swap will have interference problems - rear wheel opening with the door opening.

Take some measurements and figure how it will fitup. If you don't have a CJ-7 handy... goto Jeep dealer and measure a TJ (the door opening in tub is 99% same).

after that - fill your profile, dude. The information will help me with little details like if your CJ-5 is pre-1976 or not because it makes a difference to your planned project [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:52 PM

Possibly out to lunch here, but could the cj5 rear wheel well be the reason why the door is not full opening at the back? What's just rearward of that part of your door opening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Official Curmudgeon

You shouldn't need to take a lot of measurements, just find a CJ7 or YJ door and make a cardboard template of the lower outline. Better yet, if you have a friend with a soft lower door, just hang it on your 5. I think you are going to find a lot of interference with the rear tire unless you have a LOT of lift or lowrider tires.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:18 PM

I've thought about that very thing a couple times myself! Since I'm a short, but stocky kinda guy, the big manual steering wheel, and smallish door opening has lead to banged knees and having to suck the gut a bit to get in and out of my '74. I looked at it a bit and decided I COULDN'T get an actual CJ7 door to work. However, if you plan on running 100% topless, you could cut out the door opening and make custom half doors. Also, in my case, I have an old style metal hardtop. It would be noting to cut a new door opening, and make custom doors using my existing windows, regulators and latches--the door skin is simply sheet metal in my case. In short, I don't think you can make a CJ7 door fit by just enlarging the opening. However, you could enlarge as much as you could, then have either custom half doors made, or build custom soft doors, or even run without doors. Let us know if you decide to go ahead with this project. I'd be VERY interested in it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:14 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I take it all back, it will work. I realized all I had to do was go out to my 7 and measure back 10 1/2" from the bottom corner of the door. It put me at the inside lip of the flare opening. You won't have a lot of clearance between the front of the tire and the wheelwell, maybe an inch and a half. You will also have to do a dogleg inside the bottom rear corner of the door to support the corner of the body below. I wouldn't move the whole front of the fenderwell, just about 2 1/2" on the outside edge to let the door close. If you want to keep your flares, you'll have to cut a piece out and mount it to the door.

You need to fill out your profile, I don't know if you live in the snow belt or not. If you do, I'd advise against it. CJ5 pilot, you can forget it in Alaska. The snow would pack into that small wheelwell clearance and be rubbing all the time. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could make a couple of coils to attach to the inside front of each fenderwell and run engine coolant through them to keep the snow melted out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for the feed back , it looks like I might have to look at this a little harder before I decide.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:09 PM

I here what you're saying about the snow and ice Taz! I've got some interesting winter stories about finding creaks, groans and thumps during the winter. Best way to fix them is get the rig inside overnight and let it all melt out!

Still, the idea is interesting in an abstract way. One of the things I did think about was the tight clearance there. The other was that if I decide to open up the fenderwell, that would give even less room. One of those "Doable, but is it a Great idea or not?" kind of things!

As an aside, I did some late fall 4x4ing in a my Ranger once, and when I got home I checked for water in my diffs, tranny and transfercase. Don't know how I missed the front diff, or if I was smoking something the Govt. wouldn't approve of, but I did. I went on vacation, and when I came back, the front of my truck WOULDN'T move! Got it into the garage, let it sit over night, then went over the front end careful like....found I HAD got a little water in it, and it had frozen solid, keeping the front end from turning (I have the hubs in from freeze-up to break-up for ice and snow driving). It also pushed the seals out, which I didn't realize until I had gotten the water out of it, put in fresh oil, and put it outside--where it commenced to leak! Back into the shop, and tear it ALL the way down for those! Lots of fun. Been very careful about water in my fluids ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode