CJ-7 - How much to expect for clutch replacement? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-7 - How much to expect for clutch replacement?

I have really bad clutch chatter in low-range and it is showing up in 2w hi too. Stock setup. How much should I expect to pay for a replacement done at a local transmission shop (southern IN)?

Thanks,
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ-7 - How much to expect for clutch replacement?

Time to learn how to do it yourself! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Clutch job is easy and straightforward, just time consuming, and it will save you several hundred dollars. Just pick up a shop manual and go for it. BTW, use a LUK clutch.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:35 PM

Clutch chatter should be worse in high range as there is more load on the engine, not being geared as low. It's like driving away from a stop in second gear, less mechanical leverage, so more clutch slippage and abuse.

If it is your clutch, be sure to replace the throwout bearing, pilot bushing or bearing and have the flywheel resurfaced. You will need to either pull the motor, or drop the tranny and transfer case. Your choice. If you've never had the crossmember / skid plate off before, perhaps pull the motor, and change the rear main seal at the same time. Oil and clutches don't mix with good results.

Good luck, and you can do it. Rent or borrow a cherry picker and engine stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Barry, you will find a distinct lack of direct answers to questions such as the one you asked. This bbs is mostly do it yerselfers, that's why many are here, to learn how to do stuff they haven't done before. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:24 PM
JohnM

In the high desert area of Southern California I was quoted in the area of $600 by two shops. It seems to me to be too much of a risk pulling the transfer case/transmission - too much weight to fool with for me. I've pulled the engine and I know that I don't care to do it again unless it's for a rebuild installation. Let us know what price you come up with. oh, mine is a 1980 cj-7 if it matters. John
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

John, there are 3 ways to go about removing the trans/t-case. Many folks here like the 4x4 over the tunnel cover with a chain approach, personally I use a floor jack and my oldest son, you can also split them for much less weight. I can easily handle a 300 and T5 separately, but then again I don't think I'd want to wrestle an SM465 or NV4500! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 06:09 AM
JohnM

Brad, would you expand on the over the tunnel approach? Haven't considered splitting my (hate to admit this) sr5 and transfer case - is that anything tricky? Some of us here, as you know, don't get into the heavy stuff often enough to know what the pitfalls are. Thanks, John
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 06:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The easiest way to do it will be to pull the motor. That gives you so much more room to work with. And doing it yourself will save you a lot of money. But if you are not ready to bite off that big of a project (there is nothing wrong with that, this is a serious project) A clutch swap will/ should probably run you about 4-6 hundred. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Brad, would you expand on the over the tunnel approach? Haven't considered splitting my (hate to admit this) sr5 and transfer case - is that anything tricky?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pull the tunnel cover off, its held on with a handfull of sheet metal screws. Remove the shifters. Place a heavy board like a 4x4 over the now very open tunnel cover, wrap a chain around your trans/t-case combo (use a come along if you have one) and unbolt the comb. You can also do this thru the tunnel cover if you have a "swingset" style engine hoist that the Jeep will fit under.
As far as splitting the combo, a few bolts, pry them apart. Put a new seal in the trans before you put them back together.
Always drain both before you do this. Will save a mess and a little weight. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 09:07 AM

I have pulled the transmission and transfer case by myself and a transmission jack. The jack is a life saver. If you have a standard floor jack you can buy a transmission adapter for $60. I would never pull the engine just to do a clutch. I have always dropped the transmission. I have done serveral and it takes me about 1 1/2 - 2 days to do by myself. It goes a lot faster with help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode