Turn signal won't work--weird - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Turn signal won\'t work--weird

If soneone could tell me what the heck is going on here, I'd truly appreciate it:

Two weeks ago I noticed that the right-side turn signals weren't working. Sure enough the right-rear bulb was out. I opened it up and it was all black, etc. I put in a spare and the darned thing won't flash.

The light lights up, as well as all the other lights--both sides--but no flash on the right side. The *left* side flashes, but not the right!?

So I thought I'd check to see if I have a bad flasher in the fuse box. Guess what: No flasher! Never has been one!

This is an 85 CJ7/258. It has a 93 Wranger tub, but *everything* else--except for the gas tank and filler--is original. I've done a little mucking around with it over the years, but it came with the original wiring, carb, everything.

This should be a pretty simple problem, no? How does the left side flash and not the right?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

BTW, my hazard lights have never worked--don't know if that's a clue. There *is* a hazard flasher in the fuse box though.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:19 AM
Old Hand

Re: Turn signal won\'t work--weird

Any luck yet?
Since my little trip to the Pine Barrens this weekend fell through, I could prolly make it out your way and give you a hand if you still need it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
You can PM me or send an E-mail if interested. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:43 AM

If the left side flashes there is a flasher someplace but it may not be in the fuse box. Turn the key to on without starting the motor and turn on the left side so it flashes. Listen closely and you should beable to hear it flash sometimes if you feel around you can find it that way too. But if the left works and not the right I doubt it is the flasher it sounds to me like the right side isn't pulling enough juice to trip the flasher.

Are the front turn signals both lighting?
Are both sides the same brightness ? could be a ground issue
Turn on headlights and try it if one side goes dim or quits working its a ground problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You may be low on blinker fluid... When was the last time you checked it?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You may be low on blinker fluid...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Welcome to the board Sgt.
I was tempted to ask that but held off. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
If you don't want to get hassled you should fill out your profile, some people are pretty anal about that. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:39 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Real cute for your first post. I'll have to remember that when you have a question.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

LOL

Couldn't resist... It was right there... Staring at me like as if to say.. "Welcome to the board. Here's and easy one to help get you started."

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 11:14 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Yeah, real easy. If you'd done the search like it says in the " Read Before Posting For The FIRST Time!", you'd have found that joke has been worn out here.

Here is the search for "blinker fluid". Don't forget to hit the "Next" at the bottom, there are multiple pages. Pay your dues before you joke and don't do it while somebody is looking for answers to a problem. Then again, maybe you were being serious?

Chris,

To start with, it sounds like there may have been some "creative" wiring went on with your Jeep. The hazard flashers don't work, but there is a hazard flasher, the signal lights blink but there is no turn signal flasher. Pull that flasher and see if the left side still works.

The flasher is an undersized automatic resetting circuit breaker. The lamps pull enough current to "trip" the breaker. The strip cools and makes contact again. If you don't pull enough current to trip the breaker they won't flash. If you have a hazard flasher in the turn signal circuit, it takes more current to make it trip.

As said above, check the grounds. A poor ground means less current because it's a series resistance with the bulb.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the clues guys! This gives me a starting point anyway.

BTW, where do I add the blinker fluid?

[juuuuuust kidding] Actually, I'm new here too. I guess I need to come up with some cool screen ID like "MudHunter" or something.

:^>

ChrisM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode