lift problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:44 PM
CRSETH

lift problem

This past weekend I helped a friend put on a spring and shackle lift on his 79 CJ-5. I dont know how much lift the springs were but the shackles measured 6" eye to eye. Everything went good on the install until we got to the front right side. The U-bolts do not align with the front axle they are at an slight angle. The shackle is also turning to the inside. How can I get all this to line up? There is a slight vibration in the driveline now, what parts are in a t-case lowering kit and can I do it without buying a kit? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: lift problem

6in shackle? Jesh! Anyone else think thats alittle big? You could order a xfer case lowering kit to reduce the angle and vibes. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:34 PM

I made my own T-case lowering kit for my CJ-5. I made some spacers from some solid stock. I think they are about 1" or less. As far as I know all the kit does is lower the T-case mounting to lessen the angle on the driveshaft. Dont forget about the pinion angle. Did you use any pinion angle shims? Could you explain how the u-bolts are not lining up a little better, maybe some pics? Are the spring pads lining up with the springs? Are the spring and shackle hangers straight and lined up? A little more info might be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

6" long shackles? that's 1.5" shackle lift. Not unheard of, but longer than I'd personally go. I hope they are "H" Shackles!

brent
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:41 PM

Put all the lift parts on hand tight and line it all up Before you tighen it down, if there is a stock track bar or sway bar, get rid of it.

Put on some shorter shackles(IMO, 4" max) and see If the vib goes away.
(It will handle better also)

If not, buy an angle finder and check the rear axle pinion angle compared to the Tcase output angle, they need to be very close to the same. If they are not, you need to shim or cut and reweld the axle's spring perchs so get the pinion angle is 2 degree less(down) then the Tcase output angle. You want the pinion angle a little less to compensate for spring wrap.
The Tcase drop is a last resort deal, it just defeats part of the reason of a lift, ground clearance. If the angles are right and the lift is less then 4" you can fix it, with a 4"+ lift you may need a CV shaft.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 06:52 AM
CRSETH

Thanks for the info on the T-case lowering thats what I thought also. I didn't use any shims or check the angles. The spring pack and the shackle hangers line up somewhat. I'll check all the angles out this weekend and get back to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode