Howell tbi fuel pump and filter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Howell tbi fuel pump and filter

Anyone out there with a Howell tbi kit that can tell me what pump and filter they use? I'm building a gm tbi system for my jeep and would like some direction on what pump is a good value and dependable. Can't remember what I heard about the Walbro, which I think Howell uses. Heard that a "Master E2000" is good, but they don't seem available here in Canada or even online.

Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Howell tbi fuel pump and filter

The filter is a generic "fram" type metal inline filter. The pump is their own brand. I am sure any good electric pump will work.

Later,
Tom
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:39 AM

The filter just has a 5/16" barb for a rubber hose on each end. There are serveral out there that will work, just go to the parts store and open all the boxes.

The pump that came with mine has no branding or other markings, so I'm not sure who makes it. It's basically just a universal fuel injection pump that puts out 35 psi or so. I've seen these at the parts stores before.(they usually keep them behind the counter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The Howell pump on my system has no markings either, but it puts out an internaly regulated 12 psi, NOT 35 like a MPI system needs. If you use a higher pressure pump, use a seperate regulator and a gauge to adjust it down from the pumps high pressure.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 01:39 AM

12 PSI is what is needed by the actual injectors. The 12 PSI is produced by a regulator in the throttle body itself.
The pump supplies a higher pressure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. There was a really limited selection of pumps available here locally, so I bought a Carter P5001, its a univeral pump that is listed in their catalogue as designed for conversions from carb to tbi.

Did you simply cut the steel line to install the pump and slip hose to connect it to the pump? I'm wondering if I shouldn't be flaring the steel line ends to prevent a disasterous event like the hose slipping off.

And I ask this as a question, it is filter first then pump right? Any thoughts on pump mounting location? I know to keep it close to the tank. I'm figuring on the passenger side frame rail inside the frame. I'd like to have done it protected by the skid plate, but I hate working in tight spaces to hook up the hoses and tighten the clamps. What kind of hose clamps does Howell have you use? Screw type or spring?

Does Howell have you install an oil pressure switch to kill the pump if the engine dies? Any safety concerns? I know some oem systems have an inertial shut off, so in an accident the pump is shut down.

Thanks,
Tim
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 11:45 AM

Yes, you need to flare the ends of the steel to keep the hose on. I put mine on the frame right in front of the tank. Just cut a foot or so out of the steel and flared the ends. The pump pushes better than it pulls, so you want it as close to the frame as possible.
The filter should go before the pump to catch any particles before they reach the pump. My kit had screw clamps. I wouldn't use spring clamps on a fuel line - those things are kinda scary IMO when they're not on fuel lines.
You don't need an oil pressure switch. If everything is wired properly, the ECM will kill the pump if it loses the tach signal from the distributor.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode