I can't belive they rob people like that! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can\'t belive they rob people like that!

I just received the call from the FedEX guys here, in Croatia. I ordered some parts from the States. First off, parts were 51$, while the S&H was $72,27. But OK, it's going 'round the World...
Now I have to pay the taxes. Basically, they make you pay custom tax (is that what it's called?) for any goods you Import that cost over $50. That's (hmmm...) OK, too. But... They arent making me pay taxes for $51 (parts price), but they are making me pay for $128,27! I'm paying import taxes for the S&H, too! Come on, how low can you get!? To make someone pay transportation more than the goods cost, and then to make you pay taxes ON THE TRANSPORT!? I'm gonna end up paying $150 something that costs $51. Triple!
[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
I'm gonna burn this damn country to the ground & move anywhere. To the moon, if necessary.
But they'll probably give me 10-20 years for burning the whole country, plus $5 for ther matches tax!
Damn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: I can\'t belive they rob people like that!

Life's a b!tch and then you die. And then they'll tax the coffin.

Now that you know the rules, you'll know that next time you bribe the vendor with $2.00 to knock a buck off the price.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Do you have family or a friend in the US that you trust? When I lived in The Netherlands and England, We would either bring items back with us in our Check in luggage and hope for the best when crossing Customs ( never had a problem) or we'd have it shipped to family in the US and then have them ship it to us in a plain box, not a box marked L.L.Bean or what ever the Mail order company happened to be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:21 AM

We ship internationally all the time and that's the first time I've ever heard of taxes or duties placed on the transportation costs.
I'm wondering if your vendor filled out the way bill correctly...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That does sound a little over the top. I understand that a place would expect to get tax money on goods. But it does seem odd to me that they could tax you for the shipping. Shipping isn't really a good. And it isn't really even a service? I am sorry to hear that you are having to over pay for goods.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:44 AM

I can belive it.

My carb adapter was $12.95 USD..

handeling cost ~$20
Shipping ~$30
Taxing all that, $15.00
Brokerage fee ~20.00

In the end my bill came to $120.24

That's over 10X the price, and I still haven't converted it into Canadian dollars [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

it was about ~$180.00 CDN
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have shipped all over the world. For anything international we will use USPS only. Fill out declaration correctly, insure and send it - never have problems. UPS, FEDEX or Airborne are all big no no's for international in my past experience. Request USPS next time. Dont burn the place down, I hear the Med coast is gorgeous, would like to see it unscorched. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:12 AM

heh,

Yup from now on, order 3 weeks in advance, and ship it USPS.. not only is it dirt cheap, but if you get it marked as a "Gift" then there's no checking it at the border.

My brother got his paintball equiptment opened at the border, and they figured it was worth $51.01 instead of $51.00 .. no biggie.. $0.01 is hardly with complaining about.. but the $12.00 they charged him to add that 1 cent is ubsurd.

I know they opened it up.. said.. "Oh, it's not anymore expensive then they said, we'll add a penny to make them pay the $12.00"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:58 AM

Don't know if it will do you any good but you are not alone !
Same here in France : 10 % european tax + 20 % french VAT tax and that apply to goods AND shipping ..
Believe it or not but even with 300 $ shipping (before tax) my lift kit was still 500 $ cheaper than from the local Jeep part resseller ...
Who is the biggest robber ?
Bottom line is : Everything with a Jeep logo that is in my garage is for sale : CJ, TJ, parts ...
And boy that hurts !
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:14 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I sent $5 worth of lawn edging to a guy in Canada for his fender flares, and the shipping was $13. Not too bad, so I was wondering if you could go through a middle man in the states to ship it out to you and save some money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode