power steering hose for 4.0 swap ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

power steering hose for 4.0 swap ??

I thought that I read somewhere that someone got a fitting to convert from the CJ power steering hose to the 4.0 power steering pump when doing the 4.0 engine swap. I'm also doing this swap and am at the point of the power steering. Just for something to do, I tried my CJ hose (1980 CJ7) and it threaded right into the 4.0 pump (93 Cherokee). Does anyone know if this is a direct fit, or do I need a conversion fitting? What would this fitting do for me, as the CJ stock hose already threads right into the pump? I easily hand threaded at least 3-4 threads. It's not a matter of metric vs. SAE threads. Is there something that I'm missing or do I just thread the hose in and call it a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:17 AM
85Jeepny

Re: power steering hose for 4.0 swap ??

Rick,

If that works just go ahead and use it, as long as it reaches you shouldn't have any probs. The power steering hose on my 4.0L was cut on the metal fitting tube (at least on 96 models the power steering hose was a metal tube bent from the front side all the way around the back, the rest was the normal hose.) Someone cut mine there instead of taking it off right so I just took the metal part to a hose place, had them flange it and put a compression nut on there to hook up with my CJ hose.

I'm not sure if the power steering looks a little different on yours but my hoses couldn't reach. Thats why I had to fab that. Either way should work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'll need to rebend the tubing on the pump end of the hose, but I think [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] that it should reach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 01:50 PM
85Jeepny

Should be fine, thats how mine was, pretty close to the end. Just for your info, I got my new email address at work so If you have any questions I'm always in front of my email.

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:22 PM
mindbender

I put a 95 Cherokee pump on the 258 conversion. The 4.0 hose from the pump would not fit the steering box. I took the original hose that fit the steering box and the hose that fit the 95 pump to NAPA. They cut both hoses and crimped high-pressure hydrolic fitting to each end of the hoses so they would connect. I've had no problem with this connection.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:45 PM

I'm not sure but the problem may be one uses a flare fittings and one uses O-rings. You may want to take a close look at the fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode