OT-Jeep sized tent trailer! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

OT-Jeep sized tent trailer!

A friend just sent me this URL. It's a write up here on ORC. I haven't checked out the company's website, but this write up looks good. Built to handle up to 2200lbs of cargo and up to 24" of ground clearance! I've been looking at tent trailers (granted, ones a bit bigger) with the idea of lifting them for extra clearance. However, this might not be a bad way to go! Check it out at:

Jeep Tent Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:08 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: OT-Jeep sized tent trailer!

I've seen them before. For me to spend 5 grand on one, it would have to come with a cute live in maid.

I've worked some with fiberglass so I've considered doing my own to actually match a Jeep. You can buy the Jeep rear corner repair panels to make a mold for the corners. The rest of it is just flat panels except for the edge along the top. I'd use a standard Jeep tailgate and taillights so it matched the Jeep.

I've been thinking about doing one for a jobsite trailer more than for camping. I designed mine to be just over 6' long inside the trailer so you could sleep without the fold out ledge, but it could be done with a shorter tub too. I'd be spending the remainder of the 5 grand on a two burner stove, refrigerator, propane heater and other creature comforts. Like I said, it would be for the jobsite and they frown on campfires in their parking lots.

I really wish you hadn't posted this, I'd had the idea pushed away in a back corner as a some day thing. Now you've brought it back up to the front and got me thinking seriously about it again. Oh well, owning my own business and using it for a job trailer makes it a tax deduction. I can depreciate it out over the next several years and have a camping trailer for when I retire. Having only worked 36 hours since the end of January, maybe I'm retired already. Anybody need some conveyor?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought about making something like this out of my M-416 trailer (without cutting anything of course). Something like an insert that would fold out to mount a tent and still carry gear anderneath it. Cool idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 05:38 AM
Veteran

I had built a frame around the inside of my M416 that let a piece of plywood sit flush with the top of the trailer,...I used a wal-mart jr tent 4x6 and slept in that on top of the trailer,...it was perfect for me,....but if you were to have a couple,...it would be a very tight fit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:21 AM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I had built a frame around the inside of my M416 that let a piece of plywood sit flush with the top of the trailer,...

[/ QUOTE ]

I done the same thing to my Jeep, That's what keeps my junk out of sight. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode