Okay...now what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Okay...now what?

I did some work on my 79CJ7 and now I am having a problem. No turn signals (won't light up or blink) Running lights, brake lights and flashers work fine. Wipers and blower motor stopped working too. Here's what I did: Put in a new clutch and ring gear, replaced the starter. The starter was bad and burned up the starter relay. It kept turning over with the key off, so I thought I would put in a new ignition switch. Fried another starter relay and the hot wire. Made sure the battery was hot, put in another relay, swapped out the starter, put on a new hot wire , plugged in the ignition switch and the jeep started and ran fine. I have checked the fuses, flashers, bulbs, the only fuseable links I could find (hooked to the starter relay) and looked under the dash to see if I knocked anything off while fumbling around installing the ignition switch. What else do I need to check? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 04:26 PM

Re: Okay...now what?

From reading my manual it sounds as if your Ignition switch is not installed in the right position for the actuating arm from your key to properly hit the accessory position.All the things you mention not working are fed by the accessory feed wire off the IGN. switch.if you need the procedure for installing the switch let me know and I will quote them from the manual.it is a factory 1980 manual.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like it might be it. The Chiltons I have says to slide the switch to the far left and then back 2 clicks. I did this but it was almost too far and it would only start with the key ALL the way down so I moved it up a little.
Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 11:19 PM

I have never don this but it might make sence to you so here goes
1. with the actuator arm disconnected , position the switch as shown (it just shows a picture of the switch and actuator arm with the terminals labeled
2. Move the slider to the extreme left(accessory position)towards the steering wheel
3. Position the actuator arm in the slider hole and install the switch to the steering column being careful not to move the sslider out of the detent.
4. Hold the key in Accessory position and push the switch down column slightly to remove slack in the actuator rod.
5. Tighten the attaching screws securely.
6. connect the white connector then the black connector
7. install steering tube

It sounds as if you need more hands than we have to do this but that is what the manual says to do.
If you have a tilt column the switch goes in the opposit direction RIGHT away from the steering wheel.the switches tilt and non tilt have the positions labeled opposit.
Hope this helps....... they always say to remove the ground wire first which I rarely ever do and one day will probably be sorry.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-1999, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Hey unhuman, thanks for the info, I will try it again. It takes a lot of work to keep the old CJs on the road and trails! You gotta love em! Its a jeep thing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode