Holley 500 jets and discharge nozzle survey - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Holley 500 jets and discharge nozzle survey

I just put a holley 2300 (500cfm) on the 258, this carb runs even better than my MC2100!

I am in the process of picking my jet and discharge nozzle sizes, I am using the old "run it and check the plugs" method.

For those of you who have this carb on a 258...... what size jets and discharge nozzle did you end up with?

The carb I have came with number 73 jets and a discharge nozzle the size of a garden hose! Needless to say it ran a TAD rich. But its doing a little better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Holley 500 jets and discharge nozzle survey

I ran one on my 258 before I went with FI. I loved it. I can't remeber the jet size, but I also changed the power valve to either a 3.5 or a 4.5. It took several "run and tests" before I got it right. I have it in my basement, I will take it apart tonight and look.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Right now I have the 28 discharge nozzle and it seems to give me a slight hesitation right off idle. I was wondering if I need to go bigger?

I had adjusted the acc pump cam to the number 2 position(bottom hole) and it got worse, to include some backfiring. So I put it back to number 1 (top hole).

I understand why people either love or hate holley!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:52 PM

Did you buy your carb new or used? That model carb (with a manual choke) should come from the factory with size 61 jets. That's what mine had new and that's what Dave Emanuel's Book says.

Regardless, I have tried size 55 jets and thought they ran too lean so now I have 58's in. I also changed the PV to a 5. I have not touched the nozzle or acc. cam but I have a wicked off idle stumble as well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I bought it used and rebuilt it. The holley.com site said that the 4412 came with 73 jets and .028 nozzle and thats what I have so my best guess is thats what was there to begin with.

I have solve some of the off idle problems, I went with a .031 nozzle and had good results so far.

So how many power valves did you go through when you were setting up your carb?

p.s. the holley.com site has some GREAT tech write-ups on how things work, and how to tune your carb. It helped me a lot!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would assume you could go down on the squirter to eliminate your hesitation and to check you power valve you must have to have a vaccum gauge and hook it up to the carb and with the engine running and the vehical in drive with blocks under the tires, check the vaccum pressure, what ever it is divide by 2 and ad .5 to get the correct power valve.
example: if i had 12 pounds of vaccum i would have a 6.5 power valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode