Brake Problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Brake Problem?

Im having some problems with my brakes. Ill give yall the whole story first. A week ago or so i started noticing that the brakes were feelin spongy and getting a lil worse. Feeling like i need to bleed them. Then all of a sudden after sitting for a few hours and then getting in to drive it the brakes were gone, i could get pedal only if i pumped the brakes like 5 times. So the following day i bled them. Then they were great for that first day, over the past 4 days it keeps getting worse and worse like i need to bleed them again. I am loosing no fluid, and i cant find any leaks. THe master cylinder is fairly new, like 6 months maybe. I have discs in the front, drums in the rear. And manual brakes. Does anyone know what might possible be wrong?
Thanks
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 01:14 PM

Re: Brake Problem?

It sound`s to me like a bad M/C. If your sure your not loosing fluid, Try pushing down and holding the brake pedal. If you notice any movement, You have a bad M/C. I would still double check that you don`t have any fluid leak`s in the system though. You mention the M/C to be fairly new, I have had expierence with both new and rebuilt M/C`s being bad out of the box. Good Luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I have pumped it up and gotten a very solid pedal and put a pretty good amount of pressure on it to see if it went down or not and it didnt. So i figuered that ment there was no leak in the line.
Thanks
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:41 PM

You don`t have to be leaking fluid to loose pedal. What happen`s is that the brake fluid can get around the seal`s of the M/C and the pedal will go down. Did you bench bleed the M/C before replacing it, Or did someone else do the work? Before a new M/C is installed it really need`s to be bench bled first. If you can pump it up and it hold`s pressure, the only thing I can say is that it must be getting air in somehow. From the way you describe the problem, All my experience tell`s me M/C. Like I said, If you can pump it up and it hold`s pressure, And I mean HOLD`S, With no perceptable movement, Pull it off and try bench bleeding it. Good Luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

yea i did bench bleed it, but i guess ill try bench bleeding it again. I mean it worked perfectly fine for 6 months till this. THanks
Andrew
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 02:47 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Contrary to what's often said on this board, you don't NEED to bench bleed, it just makes life easier when you go to bleed the entire system. If it's been on for six months, it's bled.

If bleeding the brakes cures the problem but you have to do it occasionally, I suspect you're getting air in the system. From what you wrote, you don't know that you're not loosing fluid, just that you are not loosing enough to notice. Look for stains on the inside of your tires caused by fluid leeks. Check all the hoses for being damp, run your hand under the brake booster, check at all the fitting connections and at the proportioning valve. Look where you park for stains on the pavement, you don't have to be loosing much fluid to have a problem.

I don't think your problem is dirty fluid, but gravity bleed them and get the old stuff out of there. Bleed only the front or rear at a time and see which one cures the problem so you know were to look. Then bleed only one wheel at a time. If the right front always cures it and is the only one that cures it, the problem is in the right front. If bleeding either front cures it or you have to bleed both fronts to cure it, the problem is probably in the master cylinder, the proportioning valve or the common lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode