Softer ride springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Softer ride springs

I've spent years making my Jeep reliable. Recently even replaced the frame with an AFW unit.

I swapped to a SBC TPI engine so I've got power.

I swapped to a fiberglass body which also lowered the center of gravity so I've got handling.

I added a winch just in case I'm the last one to leave the jobsite and find myself stuck in the mud.

NOW, I want to improve the ride. The ride of a Lincoln Towncar would be nice but I'd settle for that of a Taurus. The front's not too bad, but the rear bounces me around pretty bad. I think it got worse when I swapped to the fiberglass body, I lost about 100 - 150 pounds on the rear axle. I need to keep the stock height or I won't be able to park under the carport and I hate to scrape ice off windows in the morning. Actually, I need to lower the rear an inch or so to get it level. With the reduced rear weight, it looks like it's going downhill all the time.

I've replaced all the bushings and greased them well, that helped the ride some.

I've thought about de-arching the bottom leaf in the spring pack to work as an overload spring and not normally be in contact. The spring packs need to be rebuilt anyway, I've got a couple of the separator pads sticking out the sides a little and a couple of the clamps are loose.

I wondered about those J. C. Whitney 7 leaf packs. Since it says HD, I assumed it might be stiffer but if the leaves are thinner, it might be softer.

I've considered removing all but the main leaf (and maybe one other) to position the axle and adding coil overs. I think I'd also need traction bars to eliminate spring wrap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Old Hand

Re: Softer ride springs

It's a jeep!!!! Man if you want a ride of a Taurus or a Lincoln Towncar get a car [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If your rear end is really bouncy have you checked out your shocks maybe there bad/going bad... I`m not sure about the JC Whitney 7leafs but I have heard they flex great for wheeling.. but I don't think your gonna do wheeling your purty TownJeep [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A while back I was looking for a way to quiet squeaky leaf springs on my 1980 CJ-7. I took the spring packs apart, cleaned each leaf and sprayed each leaf with Graphite Dry Film Lubricant. This worked great and had the added benefit of a much softer ride with more flex. I've been running these springs for the past 4 years and the dry lube is still working.

The product I used was purchased at Graingers
( www.grainger.com ), product number 6Y648. It ran about $6 per can and it took about a can per spring pack.

Good luck

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It's a jeep!!!! Man if you want a ride of a Taurus or a Lincoln Towncar get a car

[/ QUOTE ]Hey, I'm old and besides I know what happened to a "car" at the jobsite. One of my old bosses got his Cadillac stuck up to the axles in the mud when we were putting conveyor in at the Ford truck paint shop. He came looking for the guy with the Jeep to pull him out. Lots of times I'm the last to leave, there's nobody to pull me out.

I wish it was "bouncy", it's too stiff. I did put new shocks on the rear when I did the frame change but I need some spring flex.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 12:50 PM

Give these guys the correct info and they will make you a great riding spring. I've used Alcan springs for a few year now and they are the best springs I've ever seen.

http://www.alcanspring.com/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 01:45 PM

Taz
The softest riding springs I have found were the OL MAN EMU's they are soft and start out at normal height then drop a little sounds just what you are looking for. They cost a little more but smoothe the road , [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], (off road) out a little.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much did they run you for those springs
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 02:14 PM

A complete lift kit using those springs in 3" was about $800.00 a few years ago but you can get individual spring packs from them.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 02:37 PM

Hurricane,
The rear SUA Alcan springs, standard length, are about 350 for the pair. These springs are custom built for the weight of your rig, not the "one size(spring weight rate) fits all" like sold by most aftermarkets.

They can make almost any type of spring, The springs I bought where a bit different then the normal. I have a SOA front that is 6" longer then stock with double main leafs and military wraps. The 1/4 elliptical rear springs are setup very soft 10 leaf pack with both the front and back having tappered, diamond cut leafs and teflon buttons between all leafs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 953764-pile2.jpg (51.5 KB, 5 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 06:10 PM

I'm with GP'n...I have had OME on my CJ for a couple of years now. I love 'em...my CJ rides smother than my wifes Explorer...lots of flex and I haven't noticed any sag. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode