Quality Deer Management pays off again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quality Deer Management pays off again

I just shot a big 3 1/2 year old 10 point buck with an outside spread of 19"that will score 112"B&C. Last year I shot a 4 1/2 year old 10 pointer with a 19 1/2" outside spread that went 125"B&C. I have been a member for 3 years and my biggest buck berofe these was a 14" 7 pointer. We try to shoot bucks that have an outside spread of 16" or bigger,QDM pays off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 12:38 PM

Re: Quality Deer Management pays off again

So, did you drive your Jeep to do this? or is this an off topic post?

I have nothing against a few OT post but can we please mark them as such in the subject line to keep them seperate from Jeep tech,,,,,,,Thanks

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 07:22 PM

I ate some fish once, it was pretty tasty.

there is another deer hunter on this bbs, I cant recall his name, but he had a really expensive hunt a couple of weeks ago.

sounds like you had better luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Veteran

I am all for quality game management. How much did these deer weigh? In Arizona we see deer with spreads over 40 inches.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Veteran

WTF? Why did this post twice?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

My first 10 point was close to 200lbs, the last one was 175lbs.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I was a deer checker over the weekend in Hancock County in Western Illinois. My check station checked in about 900 deer in the 3 days of the season. The biggest spread at my station was 23 3/4 inches! Mighty big. We also had a few 14 pointers come in that were mighty fine. We had two 3.5 year olds, each about 10 points (I don't recall exactly) that were locked together. The father saw one deer, shot it, walked up to it and saw it was locked to another. The game warden wouldn't let him shoot the second since he didn't have a permit for it, so the guys son had to come out and shoot the second. They were still locked together when they came into the check station. It was pretty neat.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Do you guys have chronic wasting disease up there? We have had several cases out here over the last few years. Kinda like "mad cow". We have two districts up on the pine ridge that you can shoot as many deer as you want before the end of febuary, just so game and parks can check the animals brains. Overall deer permits were down this year. I think we still had 400 for my district left at the opening of the season. Usually they are sold out a month in advace. Every body is scared of eating the meat until we get it under control.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:01 PM

We do not have CWD in Iowa yet. There are cases in Minnesota and Wisconsin and out west by you. Iowa is being pretty cautious about it-they checked a lot of deer road kill this year. Hopefully.....

I am currently waithing for the deer management program to work. Have not hunted the grounds for two years except a few bows. Waiting is the hard part. The bloodline is incredible around the grounds in southern Iowa. Several very large deer are killed every year around there. I plan on hitting it next year. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:58 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

As Brhino stated there are cases in Wisconsin, and there has been only one confirmed case in IL. There were biologists from the DNR in a bunch of countys in IL collecting heads. On the IL/WI border they were collecting 500 heads per station, but at my check station they were only collecting 65. As for waiting to eat the meat, don't bother waiting. CWD only affects the brain. It will not ruin the meat of the animal. And if you shot a deer with CWD you would know it. They get super skinny (you can count their ribs and such) and stumble around like they are drunk. They litterally waste away. So go ahead and eat the meat, it isn't affected by the disease, and the disease does not affect humans or livestock. It only affects animals like deer, elk, moose, and other animals in the same family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode