Inspecting/cleaning a Detroit Locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Inspecting/cleaning a Detroit Locker

I've got an email in to Trac Tech on this. I'm also interested in hearing from you all.

Quick background - Front Dana 44. Detroit Locker used only 6 months when pinion bearing failed. The pinion then broke the tips off the ring gear teeth and chewed up the Detroit housing. There was significant metal flake/shavings in the bottom of the housing. The Detroit has already been removed from the axle housing.

My question is how do I insure this thing didn't sustain damage and how do you clean it up well enough to safely use again? I read on Trac Tech's site how to test the locker when installed - not sure if I can accurately duplicate the test with the locker removed. If I can get it to properly click in and out of engagement on a bench, the next step would be to clean it up. Should it be unbolted and cleaned that way (I've never unbolted one) or will a healthy dose of brake cleaner or similar suffice? The price is right as long as the locker checks out. I'd like to be able to check it and insure it's good asap, that way I can pay the seller. He's agreed to accept payment once I've verified it's good. And I know he can use the money - he just got done having the Dana 60 overhauled that took the 44's place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: Inspecting/cleaning a Detroit Locker

btt - I can't be the first person to experience this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 01:19 PM

I'm sorry but I have no firsthand experience at dissassembling one. I own one, and I remember on the labeling it said not to disassemble it. I don't think disassembly is necessary to clean it, as the parts are fairly "course" in inside. I'd remove the bearings and replace them, then clean the whole unit in a solvent tank. Not sure if I'd risk using a pressure washer at a machine shop. The kind that is like a big dishwasher with high pressure sprayers inside? As long as it didn't cause significant corrosion, it might be a good way to wash out any particles stuck inside that might later affect the ring and pinion or bearings. As for testing it, you will likely need it in an axle to get the final answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Here's what Tractech had to say: I would take it somewhere and have it cleaned, better to be safe than sorry.

I had hoped for more input than that. Anyways, thanks for the input. I didn't feel I should tear it down - glad to hear from someone that they recommend not doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode