1986 Jeep Renegade $10000 what do you think? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1986 Jeep Renegade $10000 what do you think?

I've been looking for a good cj7 for years. I looked at a 1986 cj7 Renegade with inline six, auto,ps,pb,67,00 miles, hard top and doors. The seller asked 10,000. The interior was almost perfect all gauges etc. worked.The body only had one spot where the paint was bubbling otherwise very good the frame looked solid only surface rust.There was oil on the skid plate and at one time during the test drive I heard a little ticking at a stop the seller said it was the cat. My question is should I be worried about the oil leak and slight ticking sound? The jeep drove strong and I was quite impressed with it.This would be my first jeep and after a lot of research and searching I think I finally foung what I was looking for. I want to put mopar mpi and a 4.0 head swap on it. If the seller would take $8500 I will buy it. I would like to know everyone else's opinion on this.Any help is appreciated. Any else I should look at? This jeep is preety cherry. The seller said the hard top has never been taken off.

John G.
Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 1986 Jeep Renegade $10000 what do you think?

sounds nice.. but over priced.. even at 8.5k... good lord man.. its just a jeep.. i have seen plenty of nice jeeps go for 4-6k.. i dont see spending over 6k for a stock jeep... unless its rare.. fully stock.. under 20k miles.. prestine condition.. and that one doesnt not sound like its prestine.. very nice.. but not prestine.. then you want to throw another 2k into it for fi? thats too much money into a stock jeep.. for my tastes.. i would look around some more.. be patient.. peoples biggest mistake is they jump into things like this.. the more patient you are.. the better the deal you will find..
that oil is probably from the rear main seal.. most jeeps leak there.. pretty common.. look at the rear portion of the frame.. for rust... and around the engine mounts for cracks.. check the axle ends.. for leaks.. check under the body/floor boards for rust.. or repair.. look under the dash.. at the wiring.. is it a rats nest.. or semi stock looking.. there are some pointers for you..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:27 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Good advise from the Jeepgod.
But, ultimately it's, what's it worth to you?
Will you keep it? Because it's unlikely you could ever recover that amount of cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 11:08 PM
Veteran

I'd keep looking. I paid $2500 for my 78 with 63k miles from the second owner. THe body was perfect except for some bubbling on the fenders and the passenger rocker. The engine ran great, the frame was solid, everything worked electrically (i am still amazed at that). The interior was a little dirty and the paint a bit faded, but other than that it was great. I realize that it was a steal, but there's no way i'd pay $8500 for it. Though it is up to you how much you are willing to pay. I'd hold out for a lot less especially if you are planning on dumping alot of money into it. just my thoughts [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-web stokes
c'ville, va
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 PM

well,.... I think thats pretty high.

around here surface rust on teh frame, and paint bubbling thru, even being a low mileage 86 model, its 4-5 grand I think tops

keep in mind IM a cheap ass, and I try my best not to pay retail....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

10k... I'd say pass! You can get a TJ for that price and have something way more reliable. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 02:24 AM
FrenchJeeper

Hummm, he is not looking for a reliable car, he is looking for a Jeep!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 05:52 AM
ArkyCrawler

It always comes down to "whats it worth to you"..but.... I got the jeep BUG and had to have it NOW thing and ended up paying way to much for mine. Then the next thing I new I got the UPGRADE BUG. Now the wife won't talk to me and the kids get to see thier college fund driving down the road. If you plan on taking the thing offroad and really having fun with it your going to want to upgrade. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck,.... down here jeeps are always cheaper after deer season and in the dead of winter.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode