Questions on a Full Cage for 73 CJ-5 (Long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Questions on a Full Cage for 73 CJ-5 (Long)

A while back I decided that I had to have a full cage in my CJ-5 for protection. I am in the process of cleaning the interior so that I can have a full cage built for me by a guy that works on Jeeps and does custom fab as a side business which has turned into a full time business. I have seen his work and it is pretty good with good welds. He is honest and fair. Lately I have been thinking about spending the money I have saved up on some 33” tires but after looking at the roll over pics in the over head console post I have renewed my determination on getting a full cage before anything else. Now I need to get some questions answered. Here are the requirements for the cage:
1. Must leave as much of the interior space as possible.
i. I am 6’ and over 300 pounds and the CJ is small enough as it is.
2. Do not want to cut big holes in the floor for the legs of the hoop to mount directly to the frame.
3. Want to tie new seat frames into the cage.
4. I plan on having a rear bar put in to bolt the harnesses to.
5. Would like to use the original hoop to cut down some costs.
6. Want four spreaders bars to go from rear hoop to front hoop.
7. I need it to fit with my full soft top.
8. I have no plan for a family cage as I never wheel with the rear seat in and therefore have no passengers back there.

Here are my questions:
1. Would tying the front hoop into the cowl at the dash bolts be strong enough for a roll over, like an accident type roll over, not just laying on its side during wheeling.
2. If not would tying into the frame with sandwiching the floor pan with different sized plates be strong enough?
3. What tubing (size and type) should I expect this guy to use? Or I might ask him what he is using and then ask the board their opinion.
4. Anything wrong with my current plan
5. Any other pointers like little neat things to incorporate into the cage for safety or convenience?

Thank you all in advance for your help and cooperation. I look for ward to all your answers. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Re: Questions on a Full Cage for 73 CJ-5 (Long)

This is sort of the way I was thinking of mounting it. I heard that the cowl is the strongest part of the Jeep.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 952520-DSC00223.jpg (25.8 KB, 33 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

BTT. I really need some advice on this one. My wife's and my safety in the Jeep is very important to me and I do not want to screw this mod up. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

BTT
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Know what you mean. Those pics sealed the importance of a cage. I have full cage plated to floorboard with plating, reinforced floor and sandwiched to frame. I dont know if this would be safer than cowling mount, but seams very sturdy. Will say, tubing running down to floor board sometimes catches a knee [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] Would also note plating tends to keep any water from draining well once it gets in floor board - could eventually cause some rusting??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 10:57 AM
utahjeepr

I am currently working on the cage for my 72. I have it just about done and will be finishing up some welding today and putting it back in the Jeep. As our Jeeps are essentially identical (at least they were when they came from Toledo) I can offer some help.

First, I would forget about using the original rear hoop. If you have the same piece I did you will no doubt have noticed how low the top of that rear hoop is. I am 6' tall as well and the factory rear hoop was not tall enough to clear my head, with a bikini top my head was always rubbing the top. The bend radius of the factory roll bar is also pretty big, if you look at where you would have to mount your outside spreaders you will see another downside to using the factory piece.

I built a new "B" hoop that is a little taller and mounts to the tub just like later Jeeps. By that I mean it that it bolts to the "step" in the tub. This requires that you do a little cutting of the top panel of the storage box under the passenger seat, but nothing extreme and it is hidden under the seat anyway. I chose to use a "halo" type configuration in the front with legs running all the way to the floor. I personally prefer a halo to a front hoop, but that is a personal decision that you will have to make for yourself.

I will try to take some pics today and get them posted, that will be easier than trying to describe my cage.

One thing to consider: you trust this guy to build your cage, so perhaps rather than designing it yourself you should leave the design to him. Talk it over with him, give him your requirements as well as your likes and dislikes regarding cage design, and let him go from there. There are a lot of variables to designing and constructing a cage and he will know better than anyone else how his abilities (not to mention tooling) will factor into design and construction.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 03:32 PM
Pooh-Bah

1- I would rather have a complete front hoop, than going just to the cowl. I know a lot of the newer systems tie into the cowl and are okay, but in my 74 CJ5 the cowl was compromised quite a bit when I rolled it.
2- Yes, tieing into the frame with different sized plates is an extremely strong way of doing it.
3- A lot of people use 2" .120 wall, or use 1.75" .120 wall for a little more room in tight areas.
4- Good plan so far, I have done several cages the way you are talking about and have yet to have a failure.
5- Get as much triangulation as possible, instead of the two center spreaders running parellel on the top you can mount them like this \|/ for better traingulation (need 3), add gussets at corners, grab handles are also nice.
Do a search on this board, cages have been covered a lot and good pics around here too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I did a search on cages and did not find much on mounting it to the cowl. I can not wait to read what the rest of you guys hvae to tell. Thanks again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another Question: should cage be mounted to frame?

I am going to be facing the same exact questions that itsaposcj5 is facing now. I have a 73 CJ5 undergoing full rebuild, I'm 6' and over 300# (gee, were we seperated at birth?? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), and will be putting a full cage into mine as well.

Since I live in an apartment I am really able to do none of the work myself, so I have Kyle at Kennesaw Mountain Accessories doing the work. He's a great guy, very willing to talk with you about the project, and he seems to know what he is doing.

He has told me it is probably best not to mount the cage directly to the frame because of all of the vibration it will bring to the body and to the inside of the vehicle. I kind of like the idea of a freestanding removable cage with the seats mounted to it, mounted to the body on urethane bushings. Maybe the bushings could be at the same spot as the body mounts, for strength?

What do y'all think?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Another Question: should cage be mounted to frame?

Typically when you tie the cage to the frame, there is a rubber or urethane pad between the bottom plate and the tub to reduce the vibrations. For the utmost in safety, I personally think all cages should be tied to the frame with the seats and belts attached to the cage. In my CJ5 the cage had rubber between the mounts, on the CJ7 I went to rigid mounts and don't feel the vibration as that big of a deal.
I am 6'-1", about 180lbs and had a full cage in my CJ5 with full front hoop and side bars for the seats that wasn't the easiest to get into and out of, but it survived 3+ rolls end over end but my passenger and I walked away unhurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode