O/T Size of your garage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

O/T Size of your garage

I took the plunge and bought a house. Now I need a shop to work in. I've been looking at a 40' x 60' steel shop, but my budget can't handle it. Mortan and Cleary's are also out of my league. Local lumber yard sells "Garage Packages" for the do-it-yourselfer pretty cheap. I cut a deal with the manager and he will sell me the material for a 28' x 40 garage for the same price as a 28' x 30' so they can get rid of some trusses that got ordered wrong. Pretty good deal on the cost.

So here is my question. How big is your garage? I know bigger is better in this situation, but money's tight. I might streach the garage to 40' x 40' and I think I can live with that. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: O/T Size of your garage

My garage is 16 x 25 , good enough to work on my rig with some room to spare . My buddy bought a garage kit last year and it is 25 x 35 and with the cement foundation he has 10 grand ( CAN $$) into it , so not to bad . He picked up an old Coleman oil fired heater and it keeps it quite toasty in the winter . 25 bucks well spent .

Jeff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:21 PM

I recently bought a house to, but I lucked out and it already had a 24x40 shop with elect, sewer, phone, cable, and 220 outlets in it. that is probably the only reason I bought this place!! but If I were to offer one piece of advise on the garage, go as hi as possible inside and garage doors. you will appreciate it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:30 PM

I've got a 24'x36' two level garage at my place. The first bay has a 9500lb lift with a 12' ceiling. The other two bays have 8' ceilings. Upstairs is a woodshop.

Unfortunately, I don't own it - my landlord (good friend) does. I have full use whenever I need it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:07 PM
pig

I used to have a home with a 24x24 garage plus a 1 car garage. It eventually filled up with treasures then I bought a home with a small barn and a large garage and a 3 acre lot and it still not enough room ,Im slowly but surely loading up the very large machine shop I work at. I get get more projects and treasures. My Dad used to have a 1 car garage which he could do anything in and I mean anything. So I guess it all depends on the person. Have a nice day! It's not what ya got it's what ya do with what ya got.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:54 PM

25'x30' attached to the house, but currently a makeshift shop for the kitchen remodel. We have a 52'x36 garage set about 200 feet behind the house as well. 2 floors, oil heat, electricity, well water, has it's own septic, telephone, cable (no use for it though). 3 double-deep bays with a separated room we use for tool storage and parts cleaning. The upstairs is finished with 5 rooms, but half of it is just for storage and the other half's my studio/jamspace for the band. I must say it's handy having the heat when its 10 degrees out, pull the Jeep in and you're working in 70 degrees of comfort. This has been plenty of space for my dad and I up until the kitchen remodel. With 4 bikes, 2 jacobsen reel mowers, a pickup, my hobby car and my dad's resto project it's just not cutting it haha. Too many projects and not enough time I guess....just my 2 cents.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

One part of my shop is about 35X60 the other part is about 15X60. The only problem is i have to share it with my dad. The other problem is the property will sell one day and we will have to move out, i am really dreding that day. But i plan to make who ever buys it, build me a new shop before i even move a thing. I also have a 45FT trailer body and a 20ft truck body out behind the shop. The 20FT body is full of jeep parts and a few pontiac sheetmetal pieces. The 45 footer leaks like there isnt a roof so nothing anygood is in there. If you have to go with a small garage/shop. I say get a truck body and keep the finished projects or parts in there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Well I'm jealous of all of you. I have a one bedroom apartment with one parking space and four Jeeps. Luckily I get some room in my parents garage (extra large 2 bay) but I would love some big old barn to keep all my crap in.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Mine is 24x40, If I did not have to share it with my wife's explorer it would be plenty big enough. I say go big or go home. I built mine from the ground up, and I orignaly was going to build a 24x24 but had the money for the bigger one, I built it thinking I will have more than enough room, I am already contemplating an addition. Mine is not as fancy as most, but I have a hanging gas heater and soon will add a wood stove to offset the elevation in Nat gas prices around here.. if I can make one sugestion it would be if you plan to park in the front and have your shop in the back, go with double overhead doors in the front insted of one, if my wife does not compleetly block my jeep, she is trying to hit the studs as she drives into the garage, Two doors she pulls straight in Backs straight out end of story, but with one you have to kinda angle them in in order to open the doors.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My garage is attached, 2 1/2 car, not sure of the dimensions. But, what I want to suggest is that you insulate and sheetrock, you will be amazed at how warm it will stay. Mine stays fine at near zero with just a small electric heater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode