New To Board....Looking At A '75 CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New To Board....Looking At A \'75 CJ5

I'm considering buying a '75 CJ5 from a neighbor of mine. He has had it in storage for 3 years and never drives it. It's it excellent shape, 304 engine, bright yellow, off the frame restoration completed 5 years. Very low miles since. I have never had a CJ so I'm not quite sure of what questions I should be asking without making me sound like I know nothing about CJ's, which is really the truth.

Any thing in particular I should be asking and looking for? Appreciate any input. By the way he is asking $8,000 for the CJ. I think he would take less though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:56 PM

Re: New To Board....Looking At A \'75 CJ5

$8k seems a bit steep to me, at least in anything less than showroom condition. Even then seems a bit pricey. I have a '74 CJ5 that is pretty much the same as what you are looking at. Mine wasn't in that great of shape when I got it, but I only paid $1200 for it. Including tires and rims, I have about $3500 total invested in it (including purchase price). Mine is functional, but by no means a show winner though.

In my opinion, the 72-75 models were probably the best out of the box drivetrain offered in a CJ. You will have the Dana 30 up front and the 1pc Dana 44 rear. For '74 and '75 they started boxing the front portion of the frame for more strength since the 304 was sorta hard on the earlier models. However, these years are sorta the in between jeeps. The windshield is the same basic dimensions and angle as the 55-71, but the nose is longer like the '76 and up. There are far more bolt on aftermarket accessories for the '76 and newer than there are for the older CJs. However, most of them will work, sometimes with a little modification.

Without actually seeing the jeep, I honestly couldn't tell you what I'd offer him for it. Just 8,000 seems a bit steep is all.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:34 PM

$8k seems a bit pricey to me. For $8K it should have new paint, no rust, lift, 33" tire or bigger, new rims, lockers, appropriate gearing, new soft top, winch, high lift, full size spare, 4spd, 2 sets of off-road lights, 2 jerry cans, 20 gallon tank, on board air and 2 years of free repairs and maintenance. Seriously though, $8K is real high. I bought my 73 for about $1,700 with a new top, new tires, highback buckets and it was running (barely running but running). Try to get a full listing of everything it has on it and some pics. Then let us pick it apart and give you some ideas. Good luck and hope to see some more details on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ditto the price being to high, even show room. I paid 3800 for 1974 cj5 304 lift rims 33's 3 spd no rust high backs full cage OK shape. Got it home tore it apart (w/ lots of help from here) and got 4600 in it now and running good. Pics and details would help, 5500 6500 for exceptional condition?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:44 PM

8,000? The Jeep would need to have ALOT of goodie`s to rate that kind of money. It sound`s to me like the guy either dosen`t really want to sell, Or he`s trying to take advantage of you. Get a complete list of all the restoration work done and any modification`s (Goodie`s), Including what it has for running gear. Add it to your post and we can make a better determination.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditto [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome to the BBS.

As everyone else has told you, the price is too high. 1975 was the last year before the last body style upgrade. 1976 and newer frames were boxed making them much more durable. The older frames were a U channel (with one exception on the pre 72 Renegade) and are prone to crack just behind the motor mounts (more so with V8s). Also, after market parts are more plentiful for the 1976 and newer CJs as well.

I would go back with a counter offer.

Good Luck!
Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode