Air compressor purchase - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Air compressor purchase

I am looking at getting an air compressor for my garage. It will be used for air wrenches mostly. I am not a mechanic and do not need or want a big buly expensive compressor. I am looking at one for $99.00, here are the specs.

2HP
4 gallon
Motor:115V, 60 Hz, 3450 RPM
Air delivery:
5.2 SCFM @ 40 PSI
4.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI
125 PSI maximum recommended pressure
Oil lubrication
Weight: 51 lbs.

I assume this will work just fine because the wrenches I am looking at require 4 CFM and 90PSI.

Will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 12:19 AM

Re: Air compressor purchase

I would personally go for the bigest compressor you can afford. Right now all you want is to run air wrenches, next it will be air impact, then it will be a cut-off wheel or a die grinder. 4.2 @ 90 psi will not run a die grinder very well. But any air is better than no air. I know I do nto have a compressor yet. I need to run 220 out to the garage first. Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:27 AM

I got one a while back from Home Depot - they had a sweet deal.
5HP, 13 Gallon, oilless. paid just over $CDN400. It came with:
1/2" impact wrench
paint sprayer
set of impact sockets
plus all the air accessories.

It will run everything but sanders just fine. The fact that it's oilless makes it a little noisy, but I have little ones that I didn't want getting their hands caught in moving parts.

I'd recommend getting a bigger one, just because once you get one and realize what you can do with it - you will want to use it more and more and you may find yourself upgrading sooner than you think.

BTW - $CDN400 is only about $US250 - so you are really looking at $150 more than the one you are looking at now

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:30 AM

Being a mechanic in my experiance you need at least a 5hp compresser and a 15-20 gal. tank to keep up with air tools.
The bigger the tank the better. But then as it was said any air is better then none. A smaller compresser will run airtools but will not keep up with them in anything more then short burst so it really depends and what type of work you will be doing and if you mind waiting for the compressor to keep up.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 12:56 PM

You might also want to keep in mind that a belt driven compressor is substantially quieter. They are usually a little more money, but well worth it. I'm assuming that the one you're looking at is a direct drive. Most inexpensive compressors are. As others have mentioned, having only a 4 gallon tank means it'll be running quite often and you should take the noise into consideration. I used to have a small direct drive and it drove me out of my garage. I picked up an old "wheel barrow" type belt driven for cheap money at a yard sale and you can barely tell when it comes on. Before you buy your's, tell them you want to hear it run.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 02:44 PM
JAS

86CJ7,

Here is my .02 worth.

I have a 5 HP 20 gallon and while I can run a 1/2-inch impact, I can not run it as well as I like. There have been many times when I wish I had a larger compressor.

It is direct drive and it is very noisy. Even with that I buy mostly electric tools, grinders, sanders, etc.. That way I do not have to wait for the compressor to catch up while I am working.

Besides that the electric tools transport better to other garages...maybe where air is not available.

I understand some air is better than no air. Storage is also an issue. Do yo have space for it....

If you have the money, the space I would recommend a slightly larger one 5HP, 20 Gal, but, then again I am wishing I had the money and space for an 8HP, 80 gal compressor.

Jeff
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OK, I found a 5HP 22 Gallon at Home Depot For $299. It comes with an impact wrench, air ratchet, paint sprayer, air hammer, a bunch of attachments, and a longer hose. Does this sound like a good deal.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:42 PM

You would be a lot happier with that rather then the first one.
Is it a deal? Well I paid $250 for my air ratchet so that sounds like a fair price. Just don't expect the air tools to be real powerful.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Where do you live in southern Minnesota? I used to live in Slayton and Harmony. I have relitives who live at lake Okaboji, etc.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:35 PM
I Do This For The Glory

How about the oil vs oil-less? Or maybe the cast iron vs the cast iron sleeved?

I am also looking to buy one soon, but there are so many to choose from. I would like mine fairly portable, but still large enough to run a 1/2" gun with no problems. I have a little money to spend, but would prefer not getting near the quadruple digits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode