Sway-bar problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Sway-bar problem

So today I decided I'd fit up my old sway-bar and see what needed to be done to make it work. Well, I hit a small hump in the road. It seems I can get it in there (barely), but it rests on my pitman arm. Only way around this is get a pitman arm with more drop, heat and bend the pitman arm down, or relocate the swab-bar. So far, my best idea is mount it up like a TJ, on top of the frame in front of the grill. I doubt I could use my old one, but maybe one from a TJ? Could I get some steel and make my own with a torch and muscles? How would I attach it to the frame and the axle? I have a hi-steer setup, so this seems to complicate it. Thanks! I attached a few pictures. One of my pitman arm problem, and one of where I was thinking of mounting the sway-bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 951215-sway1.jpg (47.2 KB, 74 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Sway-bar problem

Pic #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 951216-sway2.jpg (63.5 KB, 62 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:28 PM

Hi James,

I recently picked up a pitman arm off of a newer Grand Cherokee. I paid $5 for it and it has about 1" of drop. From the picture, it appears that you may be able to drop about that much, but I don't know how that would affect your hi-steering. Would that be enough to clear your sway bar?

BTW, I am in the process of removing about a 3" section of my sway bar in the center, and welding the splines of D30 axle disconnect to fill in the new hole. I am looking for a simple disconnect that I can trigger from inside. We'll see how this project turns out...

Good Luck,
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I'll look into that. My guess is I'd have to have it reemed out to fit the large TRE's. Also, how long is it? I had to find a different pitman arm that was shorter because it was rubbing on my tierod when I'd hit bumps or flex.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 03:29 AM
Dean

I went through the same thing with my SOA - high steer swap. I found the easiest thing for me to do was to relocate the swaybar by moving it rearward on the frame and shorten the swaybar links. I don't know if you can see it all that well, but here are some pics of mine which were taken before I shortened the links: http://www.feeper.net/creative I'm not the dorky looking guy in the pics. I'm MUCH better looking than that. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Whatever you do, I don't think that heating and bending your pitman arm is a good idea. It would probably weaken the arm substantially.

Dean
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 03:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jammy... Jammy... Jammy... Swaybar...? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:27 AM

The length was the same as my stock '88, just 1" lower.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I'd kind of rather not put a different pitman arm on there. It took me long enough to find that sucker that's on there! How far back could I move it on the frame? I'd have to have the swaybar shortened or something. Anyone have some other ideas? What about putting it on top of the frame like the TJ's?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

btt
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 07:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

sway bar??? what are those????

get some rs9000's.. and run them stiffer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode