Off Roading Forums banner

4.0 liter engine swap

876 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gmoabrim 
#1 ·
I have a 77 cj5 and am installing a 4.0 liter i6 into it. My complications are coming from the fuel delivery.. Any recomendations on a fuel pump external or internal??

G
#2 ·
I would say the easiest would be to get an external fuel pump and replace it along your frame. Get a filter before it. I used the Mopar fuel pump, got it from hesco but you can get the part number and order it from any Mopar dealer. Other people have used the CarQuest inline pump so it's up to you. I think that would be easier than replacing the tank.

#3 ·
I mounted my pump on the front cross member that holds up the fuel tank. I took a piece of angle iron and drilled two holes in it to attach with the same bolts holding up the skid plate/gas tank. Then I drilled two more holes, about 1/4", and used two "super clamps" to attach the fuel pump to the angle iron. You can use mopar performance #p5007150, Ac/Delco ep286 or Car quest E2000. Mopar comes with no warrenty while CQ comes with lifetime. My first pump was Mopar and was junk- out $90. Second pump was CQ. Also junk, out $110, but I got a free replacement that has worked so far.

#4 ·
If I were you I would put in a newer tank and pump assembly. Just because the old tank does not have a fuel bowl inside it, so when your out on the trail and on a 45 your feed line may get air in it which will cause the 4.0 fuelie to run bad or quite hence the fuel pressure decreasing. So that's what I did and would do

#6 ·
I don't know for CJ-5's, but there are aftermarket tanks for 7's that are set up for fuel injection with the "sump" or "bowl".

I ran the external pump for a year then opted for the internal with new tank. I bought a 15 gal. Wrangler (YJ) tank, sending unit and pump from 4WDH, mounted it in the normal CJ position and extended the fill and vent hoses. This has worked well for 2 years now with the exception of the pump (brand X) buzzing loudly when hot. Now, I am thinking of putting the tank in the opposite position and installing a TJ filler on the drivers side, all my other vehicles fill on the left side.

GaryM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.