How long is your CV driveshaft lasting? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How long is your CV driveshaft lasting?

I got mine from Mountian Drivelines in Show Low Az. about 2 years ago and its shot. "Dick" said if it lasted 2 years it must have been a good one. He'll rebuild it for $80 and Tom Woods wants $300 for a new one. Being poor I have to go with the $80 for now. How long is yours lasting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Old Hand

Re: How long is your CV driveshaft lasting?

Umm 2 years?? did you not grease it the entire time??
Mines been on there since before I got the Jeep and I KNOW it's been way OVER 2 years...

What exactly is broke on yours????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It got grease about every 4 to 6 months or so. When I pulled it out the other day I noticed one of the zerks was missing, I'm sure that didn't help. I could see the ball between the joints, I'm sure it had a seal or boot of some kind over at one time. The ujoints all seem fine. Shakes like a cheap vibrator now. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 01:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I dunno, 2 years doesn't seem like a long time unless you're running EXTREME angles or something of the sort.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 09:07 AM

I believe you can just buy a separate complete Spicer CV joint that matches the one you have in there. I would consider replacing or rebuilding the entire shaft if the sliding yoke is worn out and wobbly or the shaft is bent.... but not for a worn out CV joint.

Those CVs are used commonly in vehicle applications and last years and years under normal use.

I would skip the shop you used originally -- it sounds like you got sold a shaft with some cheap joints.

I believe that CV is the same one used in XJ front axles and quite a few normal applications -- I would think you could get a replacement joint at your local auto parts store.

Just be sure you get the real deal -- replace those joints with real Spicer components and keep them greased.

Best regards

John
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 10:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't know if it is the same as a chevy front cv shaft (maybe?). They are rebuildable yourself it is just more of a pain to get the ujoints out ( I did mine and rode it for over a year before I sold the t-case with no problems). There is a little ball and cap part too but surely that stuff is available... Three cheapo u-joints at 13 a piece would be about $40. If you want spicer I would guess about $20 a piece and if he the guy that quoted you $80 is going to use spicer that is probably not a terrible price.

2 years isn't too bad on u-joints if a jeep is wheeled hard and you are running a high angle... On a street vehicle I have seen them last 300k miles.... I generally replace mine every year so it is one less thing to worry about breaking on the trail, but I don't use spicer I use the ungreaseable el-cheapos. I wouldn't recommend the greasable, that is just a hole for dust and water to get in and the zerks break off all the time and eliminate the ability to grease them anyhow...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Pooh-Bah

I had nothing but problems with cv shafts on my CJ5, broke two in a few trips, went back to a standard shaft, had some vibration, but it didn't break.
The front cv shaft on my Suburban has held up for many years with regular greasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode