Re-wiring CJ....advice needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re-wiring CJ....advice needed

Starting Monday (the 25th) I will be rewiring my CJ. I got a harness with a grounding system included in it. The instructions seem pretty clear on how to go about it, but I'm wondering if any of you have some tips on how to make the process go smoother. So far my plan is this...
1. Draw any wiring diagrams that are for aftermarket accessories (winch, jacobs ignition, dual battery)
2. Pull the dash off
3. Remove all old wiring that will be replaced
4. Clean up wiring for aftermarket parts so that the wires aren't all over the place under the hood
5. Install new wiring making sure everything has a good ground
6. Reinstall dash after fixing it (patching large hole and removing herculiner)
7. Hope that everything works!

Did I miss anything? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:32 PM

Re: Re-wiring CJ....advice needed

That sounds like a pretty good plan. All I can suggest in addition is to take a bunch of pictures as it's coming apart. It is amazing how many details you can forget or not notice, because they don't seem significant until you're putting it back together.

Also, get a box of cheap Zip-Lock style baggies. I got some store-label 2" X 6" bags for just a couple of pennies apiece. As you take out fasteners and other little parts put them in a baggie and lable it with a felt tip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:58 PM
Official Curmudgeon

You like those baggies don't you Jim? I remember you telling me to use them when I did the frame swap, but I went one better. Years ago, I found a bunch of those plastic drawer type plastic bins on sale. They are about 6" x 4" and about 3" deep and are also stackable. I bought about 35 of them and when I did the frame swap I put the parts in them using one for motor mounts and bolts, another for front shackles and nuts, etc. It's a lot easier than having to stop and seal a baggie and easier to dig around in to find the right part at reassembly. Others set in a cabinet with small spare parts in them, even some tools that won't hang on the pegboard hooks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 09:37 PM

I would label the wires also. You mention draw the diagrams but that is sometimes hard to do. Get the labels that you can write on with a permanent pen. You will also be surprised at how the colors do not match prints or have faded and are hard to recognize. Do all your prep before you remove the wire. Guessing where they go gets difficult. Also have a wire gauge handy to measure some of the sizes. I can't remember what sizes the wires are but be ready. More to wire than just a color.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 02:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure you buy good terminals (Thomas & Betts are my favorite), use a good crimping tool for any terminations you have to make, and get a couple cans of Liquid Electrical Tape - it seals up the ends really good, and is tougher than good old Scotch 33 or any other straight tape will ever be.

Also pick up some zip-tie pads (little sticky things with a slot for zip ties) - you'll invariably break a few of the little factory harness holders, and these things are awesome for replacing them. Zip ties with mounting holes work well too, if you don't mind putting screws everywhere.

Also pick up some assorted size wire loom, since you'll probably find some that's rotten and needs replaced.

Have fun [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:18 AM

Taz, I do like those baggies. The bins are a good idea too, for larger things. I used about 60 of baggies, a few with just two or three bolts in them, but it really hasn't been a problem digging through them when I need to.

When I finished taking everything apart, I went through the bucket of baggies and inventoried everything that had to be replaced, putting the information into a spreadsheet. Then I sorted it by description and turned it into a P.O. for the bolt house.

The supplier put each type fastener into a separate baggie with a label, so I took those baggies and stapeled them to a piece of plywood. When I'm putting something on, I look at the spreadsheet sorted by application, pull the nuts, bolts and washers out of the bags, and go to work. It's a pretty good system because I am replacing almost every fastener. The little brackets, clamps, spacers, springs and things are in the labeled baggie in the bucket.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

oh my.... [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

baggies.. buckets.. spread sheets.. whew.. i just throw them all in one pail.. and for some odd reason in life.. i can remember/or figure out where they all go.. might have somethig to do with i have completely built one jeep from scratch.. and have worked on so many others.. so much.. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .. elusive and myself play guessing games with each other when we find something odd laying around.. so far we havent been able to stump each other yet.. he's even tried to get me with a piece of fan that was cut off.. the last 2" of one blade.. guess he had to do it on the trail to get home.. took me a few minutes.. but i got it.. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

you guys sound like you have very good organization.. sometimes i wish i could be like that.. im trying... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:39 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
use a good crimping tool for any terminations you have to make, and get a couple cans of Liquid Electrical Tape

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't use crimp connectors, solder your connections and use heat shrink tubing. Even good crimp connectors are going to eventually come loose or corrode and then you'll be left trying to chase down intermittent electrical shorts.

Liquid electrical tape does work well, but heat shrink looks neater and you can get it in many different colors.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 09:15 AM
Official Curmudgeon

So ain't anybody gonna mention BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE HOT WIRE TO THE FUEL GAUGE? Get it on the wrong post and your fuel and temp gauge go poof.

Paraphrasing Dorothy on the yellow brick road shouldn't that have been, baggies and buckets and spread sheets, OH MY! The thing I don't like about one bucket is it has to be last in, first our and all the little stuff falls to the bottom. After having the same Jeep for over 15 years and having done so much building on it, I feel like I can identify which of five otherwise identical nuts came off MY Jeep.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Addict

If its a painless kit, just follow those directions. I did my CJ-5 rewiring in a total of 9 hrs work. The hardest parts were unwiring and then the freakin dash that was frozen on. I had NO problems following the diagrams and directions supplied by painless. All this and no prior wiring experience. Oh, and the CJ cranked right over on the first try. Piece o cake. HAVE FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode